Mercruiser 5.0 Shift cable jammed into flywheel during install

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, was just replacing my shift cable and it got jammed in the flywheel area as I was feeding it through into the boat. I've pulled the plugs and turned it over by hand forwards and backwards to the point where its jammed up I can't rotate the engine backwards because the bolt on the counter balancer backs off.

Has anyone had this happen before? What should I do next?

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure how your setup is but can you see or get to the teeth on the ring gear of the flywheel at all? If so you might be able to take a large screwdriver & gently pry against the bell housing or something with the screwdriver tip in the teeth on the ring gear & turn it like that. Usually slow going but works if you can get to it.
Another thought is if you can put a strap wrench around the harmonic balancer/dampner & turn it that way? Just a few ideas.
Make sure you get that balancer bolt torqued back down. Good luck. Jim.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Hi, was just replacing my shift cable and it got jammed in the flywheel area as I was feeding it through into the boat. I've pulled the plugs and turned it over by hand forwards and backwards to the point where its jammed up I can't rotate the engine backwards because the bolt on the counter balancer backs off.

Has anyone had this happen before? What should I do next?

The cable is still disconnected from the gimbal housing right, and you cannot move it?

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I never disconnected the cable from the gimbal. I pulled the gimbal housing out with the cable since I was redoing everything at the same time.

alldodge

Staff member
The cable came in through the transom plate, then somehow turned 180 degrees and is stuck in the flywheel housing. Wish I had an answer for you, never seen that happen. Do you have the lower dust cover removed off the flywheel housing?

Might have to destroy it and replace with another

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Dust cover isn't removed and I've read about it happening once before on the same motor. Just a **** off that a simple job turns into a big one. It jammed up the flywheel enough to prevent it from turning over with the starter when I tried bumping it over to break it loose.

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Seen it happen once, the motor was removed and then the cable was released

alldodge

Staff member
Guess I don't understand how the dust cover can still be installed along with the starter and still there was enough space for the cable to slip in. I'm in over my head so I'm going to bow out and let the experts handle this one. Sorry I am not of more help

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is just enough gap for that cable head to slip in; and it did....

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Is the cable between the flywheel & the block or the flywheel & the dust cover? If it's on the lower half between the dust cover could he just remove the dust cover? If it's up high jammed in the rear of the block it'll probably take at least unbolting the motor & moving it a bit to get it out I'd think. Good luck & let us know how you fare with this crazy cable. Jim.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
I beleive i read the same kinda post awhile back here on iboats. Drop the starter and loosen the cover and see what happens. Just for future references...Have a helper in the boat to guide the cable as you push on it threw the transom.

Good luck!

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is what it looked like. The cable was bent 90 degrees inside there.

347bih5.jpg

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Oh, ok, now I see how that could happen. I was trying to picture how in the world it got in between the flywheel & the block but it went in around the coupler. That sure turned an hour or two job into a mess. I guess, now you're able to inspect the coupler & everything else back there, huh? Got to find the "silver lining" somewhere, right? Good luck & I hope everything else goes a little smoother for you.