Changing an Exhaust bellows with the drive on?

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
I have a ripped a exhaust bellows on a 14 year old Bravo One outdive, I'm wondering if anyone has changed it without removing the whole outdrive? Is it more of a pain than it's worth?

I believe all the other bellows and gaskets are original so I am aware they should be changed as well and I have inspected them. Just looking to save some time and get back on the water for the rest of our short Minnesota season plus i don't have access to a cherry picker or crane of any sort right now.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
Why would you want to leave it on?

You would spend more time fighting it than if you spent the extra 15 min. removing it.

Bondo

Staff member
I believe all the other bellows and gaskets are original so I am aware they should be changed as well and I have inspected them. Just looking to save some time and get back on the water for the rest of our short Minnesota season plus i don't have access to a cherry picker or crane of any sort right now.

Ayuh,.... No way you can change much of anything with the drive on,....

Do ALL the bellows at once, you'll be miles ahead of the game,...

No crane necessary either,...

The Bravo is just over 100 lbs,...
If ya adjust the trailer jack, it can be rocked off, 'n back on, without even liftin' it,...

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
Ayuh,.... No way you can change much of anything with the drive on,....

Do ALL the bellows at once, you'll be miles ahead of the game,...

No crane necessary either,...

The Bravo is just over 100 lbs,...
If ya adjust the trailer jack, it can be rocked off, 'n back on, without even liftin' it,...

agreed...wise words

get the bellows strecher and suck it up and do all 3

you'd be foolish to only do the exhaust. It's not that difficult. Spend the extra time and do it right.

That 14 year old u joint bellows is a ticking time bomb. Take care of it, you'll be sorry if you don't

tpenfield

Staff member
Maybe go with the tube instead of the bellows. Tube could be installed without removing the outdrive.