My first time taking off an outdrive... Any advice

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
These forums have been extremely helpful. I am now confident that I can perform a lot of the work on my boat rather than paying someone to do it. That being said, my boat is having some issues and it is now necessary for me to take the outdrive off. Just a little background, I purchased my 1980 Sea Ray in July of 2014. It had a se106 outdrive installed in 2008. It is mated to an MC-1 power trim system. I have the serial numbers in my signature below. I am running into the following:

- boat vibrates when I steer completely in one direction. I believe it is the gimbal bearing.

- I noticed lubricant in my bilge, I believe from the consistency it is lower gear lube. It is thicker than my engine oil. Based on observations, it is coming from the drive shaft and I believe that seal needs to be replaced. Any other suggestions on what it might be?

- My power trim is also not functioning properly. It is an old prestolite pump with an external valve control body, which I have already replaced this month. The rams are not staying in the up position when on the trailer and I cannot trim up in the water. I believe the next step is to either rebuild or replace the rams.

I am planning on tackling the bellows while the outdrive is off. Is there any other maintenance I should be performing at this time?

I will be sure to have an alignment tool as stated in many other threads and will assemble the tools in the stickys that are needed for the job. Any input from more seasoned boaters is much appreciated.

Thank You!

wahlejim

I dont know why this didnt display above..

Mercruiser 228 (6271653) MC-1 Power Trim (5519200) SEI 106 Outdrive

superbenk

Commander
Don't forget to replace the impeller in the drive while you have it off. You should be replacing that every couple years anyhow & removing your drive yearly to inspect bellows, lube splines & check alignment.

thumpar

Admiral
The vibration is more likely your u-joints. Once you get it off you can feel the gimbal bearing to see if it is smooth. You can use an allen wrench instead of the special tool to remove the pins that hold the gimbal on. For the exhaust bellows you can use the "$3 tool" instead of buying the real one. I used that on my Alpha and it worked great.

wahlejim

Thank you for the advice guys, I will have take it apart this weekend and get parts ordered... I will let you know how it goes or if I run into anything that I have questions on.