Lehr 15

HopCar

Cadet
I just found out that Lehr will be showing a 15 hp motor at the Miami International Boat Show.

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lehr 15

Would I love to have one of those
I think my 5hp is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I love not having to worry about the fuel being treated or my carb getting gummed up.
Also here in Delmarva Propane is much cheaper

HopCar

Cadet

I got to play with one at the Miami boat show. It looks very well made. It's actually easier to pull over than the 9.9 as the 15 is equipped with a compression release. The only draw back I found is that it will want to be fed liquid propane when running at high speed. The regular tanks that supply gas to stoves and the smaller engines just can't supply enough propane vapor to keep it running at high speed.
I plan to use a 32 pound fiberglass forklift tank in my little boat. I'll mount it horizontally under the seat.

ronaldj

I got to play with one at the Miami boat show. It looks very well made. It's actually easier to pull over than the 9.9 as the 15 is equipped with a compression release. The only draw back I found is that it will want to be fed liquid propane when running at high speed. The regular tanks that supply gas to stoves and the smaller engines just can't supply enough propane vapor to keep it running at high speed.
I plan to use a 32 pound fiberglass forklift tank in my little boat. I'll mount it horizontally under the seat.

Couple of questions

1 Did you pick up the 15 yet?
2 When using the forklift/golf cart tank where do you get one?
3 Do you get those tanks filled the same way at a regular refill station or do you have to go to a commercial refill station?
I currently get my tanks refilled at Uhaul.
4 Is there some type of gauge so you know how much propane is left in those tanks.

Sorry for the questions but my experience is limited to 10 an 20 pound tanks in my boat ( 2 1/2 & 5 gal )

HopCar

Cadet

I haven't gotten one yet. I need to check if they have arrived in the USA yet. They're due about now.

I will get a fiberglass tank from Lehr. There are places in every major city that sell and fill tanks for forklifts. I think you can also get them filled where ever you get your propane barbeque tank filled. I certainly hope so. I get my other tanks filled at a Uhaul near my home as well. The valve on a forklift tank may be different so you can't hook it to a stove or barbeque. I think there was an adapter on the one I saw at the boat show.

I think there are gauges for metal forklift tanks. You can usually see the level of liquid propane in a fiberglass tank.

Maybe someone on this forum who deals with forklifts can tell us more or correct my mistakes.

ronaldj

Nice to no
Im still using my 5hp with no complaints.
I also just ordered a tank from Lehr
Since I have under the seat storage I keep the 1lb bottles in there and refill them when I get home.
I too goto uhaul but I think the folklift refills are cheaper
My next boat will be trailored with the 15hp motor
My 11 ft boat lives in my truck with the 5hp
Best engine for a Zodiac ever

HopCar

Cadet

Ronaldj, how do you refill your 1lb bottles? I've never tried it but I've heard of two different methods. One involves freezing the bottle and the other involves venting the bottle by pulling up on the overpressure relief valve.

ronaldj

I use one of these image.jpg
With that said they don't refill all the way
There is a YouTube video that walks you through filling a tank.
From my usage last summer. A 10 pound tank is good for a day of extreme use.
I have a fuel chart that I have to figure out how to post