Mixing of Oil and Water - 1958 Johnson Super Seahorse 35hp

Mckeem

Cadet
Hey Guys, I have just recently restored an RDS-20 Super Seahorse 35hp. After a week of running it up at the cottage, I have noticed that there is some oil draining out of the water intake. (hence also allowing the fresh paint to peel)

When I drained the oil, I noticed a lot of water in the transmission. Not good.

Once drained we filled the transmission with Varsol, and filled it to pressurize the unit to see if there was any obvious leaks. This is what i found... click for video.

any suggestions why there is varsol coming out of this area? This is the water intake on the port side.

This engine has been around these circles for years and i hope someone can chime in on what they think. I have reduced it to two problems, but i want to see what you guys can come up with. Thanks so much.

Heres the boat that i also restored:

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Nice work. That stuff you are seeing is probably unburned fuel, nastiness clearing from the leg, stuff that looks bad but isn't a problem in itself. Chances are it will be better with running. Water in the gearcase is a different issue -- take it you mean the oil is milky colored when you drain some of it(?) Usually a sign the gearcase should be pressure and vacuum tested, and probably resealed, but that can be done. Also, a little water in the gearcase isn't fatal -- can drain and refill, run it a little more and check it again. Very nice rig.

Mckeem

Cadet
Somehow I dont think its unburnt fuel. The video shows my friend pumping varsol into the top plug on the lower leg with a screw in pump. Once pressurized the leak of varsol you see is coming out of the water intake in the back of that cavern... I was seeing evident signs of petroleum in the water around the motor on occasion. when i drained it today thru the bottom drain plug, there was a lot of water in the gearcase coming out before the oil. not milky, but separated oil and water. I dont know why when filled with varsol, on the SB side of the leg, it was seeping into the port side water intake, and it was def varsol by the smell of it. Plus before hand in the photo, you can def see oil coming out of the water intake. could the water intake somehow be mixing with the gear case oil in the lower leg? is there any history of hairline cracks in that area that would allow the stuff to mix as it was coming in to the impeller?

Mckeem

Cadet
for privy kowledge, the motor was fully sandblasted and pressure soaked upon rebuild. the inner section of the leg went thru the cleaner 3 times to lean it up before it was assembled...

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Do a pressure and vacuum test on the gearcase, or pull the l.u. off and bring it to a shop for testing.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Clearly a restoration where paint / looks were more important than oil seals.----Sorry, that is the way I see it.

Mckeem

Cadet
^ well thats your opinion, but you did not see the ENTIRE build sheet of new parts ordered, and installed for every group of this engine. You didnt see the sand blasting, pressure washing, and complete rinse of every single part of this engine did you? So the way I see it, keep your jerk off comments out of here and keep it constructive.
Thanks Tips.

Mckeem

Cadet
Do a pressure and vacuum test on the gearcase, or pull the l.u. off and bring it to a shop for testing.
sorta kinda what we did in the video. i just dont know where the varsol is bypassing to get to the water intake.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
If it's the Varsol you'r seeing in the water cavity, it's likely coming out the seal below the water pump and dribbling down.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
deep breath, Mckeen. likely need to reseal. low pressures used for testing. pressure test and then reseal if necessary -- if any seals exposed to solvents [e.g., driveshaft seal] would expect to replace for use. IMHO, residual cleaning solvent still in gearcase would probably mean seals should be replaced before use. regular pressure/vacuum testing to confirm, but even then would be inclined to replace seals that came in contact with solvent. varsol fairly mild, I think, but probably would attack seals.

Last edited:

lindy46

Captain
If it's the Varsol you'r seeing in the water cavity, it's likely coming out the seal below the water pump and dribbling down.

Agree - driveshaft seal is probably faulty, or shift rod seal could be bad. I'd go ahead and replace all the gearcase seals. That should solve problem of water getting in and oil getting out.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Beauty rig!

I have restored a couple RDS20s myself. They are right up there for me on my list of favourites.

I would say Chine walker nailed it. The route to that water intake comes from the water pump, underneath the impeller plate is the drive shaft seal. It is clearly leaking.

Pull off the water pump, and the SS plate, and pull the seal. Re install, seal the plate down, then re install the water pump. Then try again.

I would not use varsol or solvents to test like that though, they MAY attack the rubber of the seals. Not sure, but don't risk it. Air is all you need to pressure test. About 7 to 10 psi. Then dunk in bucket of water to see where the air is escaping.

Mckeem

Cadet
Excellent help chaps! I had suspected the oil retainer underneath the impeller was faulty and the varsol (actually mineral spirits) was coming up and around, and down. I was also suspecting that u had a hairline crack in the back corner of the water chamber, as it is very closer to the other side where the oil is bled out. I have already ordered the new seal as by tearing it apart I may as well just do it to eliminate that option.

Any other comments regarding this topic, please chime in. I love how this motor ticks like a fine Swiss watch. She runs really good. They sure don't make them like they used to.

jbaflyer

Recruit
Where did you find parts for your seahorse? I am in need of a wiring pigtail and throttle/shift cable for my 58'

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
How much pressure did you put into the lower to check for leaks not hard to over pressure and make a leak that's not there.