Poor running and overheating 40hp evinrude 1984

jonesyg

Cadet
Hi,

I have an Evinrude 2 stroke 40hp 1984 , it came with a boat i bought second hand. It began to overheat when running over 8 knots , so i removed it out the water changed the thermostat which was destroyed and also the impeller. This had no improvement on the overheating issue. It will run all day at 5 knots but as soon as you go faster the alarm comes on.

The telltale is flowing water out but it is always cold to the touch, i have done the splash test on the head when the alarm goes off and it doesn't steam off.

The second issue is the fuelling i believe. It is always hard to start which i think is down to the fuel solenoid. There are three hoses attached , one large which feeds to the carbs a smaller hose which feeds to the carbs also and then a third small hose which is connected to nothing ?!? surely this must go somewhere? When you turn the red lever to half way fuel squirts out this third hose.

So before i give up and take it to the stealers or buy another has anyone got any ideas or had similar issues ?

Thanks in advance !

Bosunsmate

Admiral
You really need to move the telltale outlet to the top of the motor or that motor will always overheat
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...aq/228380-johnson-evinrude-adding-a-tell-tale
Whats the poppet valves condition like?

And as for solenoid hoses, id block that one up. I dont have that motor but if there are no other nipples to which you could see it should be attached maybe someone has bought one for a three cylinder motor and wanted to just use it on yours

jonesyg

Cadet
Hi,

Ok that sounds like it would involve stripping the engine to some extent to allow for removal of the metal shavings ? I know my tell tale hose loops to the top of the engine and then back down. The poppet valve seemed ok , unfortunately when i did the thermo i had no idea that the poppet was the poppet as i had never touched an outboard before. But i can remember the orange piece came out of the seat and the spring was present and looked in good condition.

And i will block that third hose up thanks for your help !

/Greg

Bosunsmate

Admiral
I wouldnt bother about the metal shavings as they are small and so long as you blow out the hole as you cut only the final bits will fall in there.
You can also grease the end of the drill bit to catch them
If you havent had the head off then cleaning the channels around the cylinders will help a lot if its a salt water motor and thats a good time to do the telltale hole.
That loop around the block doesnt do jack, the problem is that the engine will suck in air from normal operations and that air will rise and form a pocket at the top of the cylinder jacket which prevents the cooling water from getting there. A loop with an inlet at the bottom of the motor cant do anything to evacuate the air at the top. Whereas the telltale outlet being at the top means that all the air rises up and out of the engine via the telltale hose

Last edited:

jonesyg

Cadet
Hi, it is mainly in freshwater , I could remove the head but it is in the water at the moment. And would be a big job to do that , what costs can i expect to remove the cylinder head. I am guessing head gasket, random gaskets possibly head bolts if they are stretch ?

I am going to compression test the cylinders before i do anything more also.

Cheers

Bosunsmate

Admiral
head gasket and the water cover jacket $40ish
I dont think ive ever replaced a headbolt, i just clean the threads and use them again.
I do lap the head on a plate of glass with fine wet sandpaper

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The larger hose feeds fuel ( under pressure ) from the pump to the primer valve.----The small hoses each go to one carburetor.---When the valve is opened it sprays fuel into the carburetors while the motor is cranking.-----This unit replaces older choke flapper.-----Find where that third hose goes as it should not be left plugged !!!

jonesyg

Cadet
Hi, ok sounds like i need to get some photos as from memory the larger hose comes from the pump to a circuit which tees off to both carbs and the single attached thinner hose is also joined to this circuit and the other end to the solenoid. Looks like something has been shortcut incorrectly possibly...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The fuel pump feeds fuel to a manifold.----There fuel is pumped to both carburetors.----Fuel is also pumped to the injector valve via the larger of 3 hoses to the cap on the primer valve.---Then when valve is opened the fuel is fed by the 2 smaller hoses to the carburetors.---An elegantly simple set-up

jonesyg

Cadet
So essentially i am missing one of the primer injectors feed ? Thanks for your help ill try and locate where the smaller hose should be going ! I guess it will be a mirror of the other carb .

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Model # of this motor ?---The wee hoses feed fuel to a nipple on the carburetor.-That is if everything is original to the motor. !---Perhaps a carburetor was replaced , but I am not near your motor to inspect that.

jonesyg

Cadet
The model number is E40ELCRM i can take some photos when i am back from holiday but any advice is greatly received !

jonesyg

Cadet
Well this morning i compression tested the engine and both cylinders produced 130psi so no problems there, also the automatic primer is functioning with the key pressed in. I looked at the fuel hosing and it looks like the third smaller pip that was blocked was blocked as one output from the solenoid feeds both carbs, is this correct or a shortcut done by the previous owner?

Attachments

• IMG_6945.JPG
    IMG_6945.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6943.JPG
    IMG_6943.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6944.JPG
    IMG_6944.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6946.JPG
    IMG_6946.JPG