1977 Evinrude 85HP Spark Issue

Dawg9967

Cadet
I have a 1977 Evinrude 85HP thats not getting spark on one side. Looking at it from the prop side its the right bank. The power pack is a cdi electronics but it looks brand new and cdi said it was still under warranty. Ive switched coil wires on the power pack and the spark stays the same. So I guess the info I need to know is how do I test the timer base on this engine. If it shows its good then im going to send in the power pack under warranty , and if its bad then im going to replace it. Im pretty good around motors but this is my first boat engine. I have done research and from what ive found those are the 2 possible problem makers to make you lose a bank. Any and all help is appreciated and dont rag on me too hard lol.

And this is my first post but have been reading on this fourm for months!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Dawg9967, :welcome: to iboats...

I take it the power pack feed both banks on this engine. And if you already swapped coils and it does the same thing, then it could be the power pack. I have to admit I don't have a schematic diagram for your engine but it looks like there is one timer base and sensor assembly. And so that triggers the power pack., and since you've already swapped the coils around and have the same situation, I can see a power pack bad vs a timer base. The timer base is triggering the power pack correctly but the power pack isn't feeding the coils correctly... Without being there and running tests for myself, I can see a defective power pack. But that is just my uneducated guess...

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
If you are at all electrically inclined, you can do some testing of your components first. This website has some excellent ignition troubleshooting info: cdielectronics.com. I'd look up your engine in their special guide. They list cranking output value minimums. You can crank the engine and measure both the volt output of the timer base and the stator. The timer base should be something like 0.3 volts, the stator something like 150. If your outputs are at least that, then those are ok. Then it's likely the power pack (or a coil.) Check their guide for the exact voltages. I prefer the cranking voltage test vs the ohms test, but you will need to be using a "peak-reading" voltmeter-not your general household meter. Replacement ignition parts are expensive, so a little time testing will make sure your spend your money on the right parts.

Dawg9967

Cadet
Thank you for your replies. It does have the single power pack and the power pack is under warranty. Do yall know how many ohms and what wires to do the ohm test on? I only have a simple multi meter. And thank you for the responses and the warming welcome! Do new power packs ussually go out that quick? And can the rectafier cause it to lose a bank?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Usually new packs last at least a few years or more. I believe Bombardier has changed vendors for their ignition components. I've had a few problems with their new ignition parts. All their parts sold come with a 1 year warranty, so keep that in mind if your warranty is about up. The charging system has nothing in common with the ignition system-completely separate.

Dixiedawg

Cadet
I just went through a similar issue with my 77' evinrude 115 hp where it would intermittently lose spark on the left bank then pick it back up, and I corrected it by cleaning up all the ground connections on the ignition system. Maybe worth a try before you start throwing parts at it!

Dawg9967

Cadet
Thank you. I will try that. I sent off the power pack and waiting on the replacement now.

Dawg9967

Cadet
Update. Sent power pack off under warranty and they tested it and said it was still good but will send me one anyways. Where to go now?

Dawg9967

Cadet
"Check the DVA output on the Orange wires from the power pack while connected to the ignition coils. You should have a reading of at least 150V or more. If the reading is low on one cylinder, disconnect the Orange wire from the ignition coil for that cylinder and connect a load resistor to that terminal. Retest. If the reading is now good, the ignition coil is likely bad. A continued low reading indicates a bad power pack." So if I'm reading this right, 1 bad coil can make you lose one bank?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I believe there are two sensors, each triggering two cylinders. That should be a clue. Have you done a DVA test on those?

Dawg9967

Cadet
You can follow this link to get to the pictures of the stator and timer base. Does everything look okay or signs of failure?