1989 70 hp evinrude starter issues

Derick58

Recruit
Having some issues with my starter. The starter will spin but does not engage the flywheel. I tried two different fully charged batteries and same thing. Checked all the connections and cable resistance and everything fine. Jumped the starter directly off the battery and same thing. I replaced the starter with a new one and still just spins. Won't engage the flywheel. Any suggestions?

interalian

Commander
Is the Bendix siezed? With power off, try holding the Bendix just below the gear then turn the motor shaft from the top with your fingers. The Bendix should climb up into the flywheel. If not, take it apart, clean and grease.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Dumb question. Is the battery in backwards or charged backwards ??

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Jump the starter with a set of automotive cables. If the starter cranks normally, then check the starter solenoid. If the contacts inside an old solenoid get burned from years of use-it won't transfer current properly-giving the impression there is a problem with the starter.

Derick58

Recruit
The bendix will raise into the flywheel if I turn it manually. The battery has the proper polarity and the starter spins the right direction. I did try jumping it directly off the battery and it does the same thing. I even tried using two batteries in parallel. I am wondering if I have a ground in the solenoid?

interalian

Commander
Mine did that the first time I tried it this season. Even though the Bendix would rise manually, I still need to clean and lube it. Works fine now.