Shift linkage

Sbcwrangler

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone. This is going to sound like a stupid first question but if you were here you'd understand the confusion. Recently bought a boat with 1976 Johnson 55hp outboard. I knew the shift cable was broken when i bought it. Just bought a new one and installed it but cant get it adjusted properly. Previous owner had welded up his own linkage at the engine and it looks nothing like what I found when i google pictures. The cable attaches to the bottom of the linkage bracket as you would suspect but so does the linkage that goes to the selector on the engine. Pictures i found show that linkage going to the top of the bracket. This raises the question of whether the engine selector is upposed to be forward for forward gear or is it supposed to be back for forward? I can't tell by spinning the prop. I'll add pics if i can figure it out. Thanks

Last edited:

Sbcwrangler

Seaman Apprentice
I've answered my own original question but still have the issue of the home made bracket. Can anyone provide a pic or link to show me what my linkage/cable/bracket setup should look like on the side of my engine?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Answer this question first.-----Does the shift rod going into the lower unit move UP TO GET FORWARD GEAR ?

Sbcwrangler

Seaman Apprentice
Yes. When i move the lever on the engine forward the rod moves up. Model # is 55643E if that helps my cause any

Sbcwrangler

Seaman Apprentice
Dies anyone have a pic of what the linkages and brackets are aupposed to look like on this engine? I've been looking everywhere and can't find anythingn that looks the same as mine. For example most pics I've seen show an idle adjustment screw and a wot stop screw. Mine has neither. I would assume it is supposed to

racerone

Supreme Mariner
See the question in post # 3.-----Does the lower unit go into forward gear when the shift rod moves up ??---Rotate the flywheel and see if motor is in forward or reverse.-----------Now the reason for this simple question, earlier lower units shifted to forward with a DOWN motion of the shift rod.--Need to know exactly where this is in order to be able to help from 1000 miles / kilometers away.

Sbcwrangler

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Here is what mine looks like lol

Racerone, sorry i thought that i had andwered your question in post 4. I'll go check it out.

Attachments

• photo226336.jpg
    photo226336.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 1

Sbcwrangler

Seaman Apprentice
Wow. That is one clean engine. Nice job. When you compare that picture to mine there is an obvious difference in the shift linkage setup. Should mine be exactly as yours? I noticed earlier that there is a wot stop screw on mine but at max adjusment the theottle plates only open 3/4 of the way

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
1st of all by the blue paint I would say that is an Evinrude power head. I would also guess yes it should but there is no telling what a PO did to it. You might have a frankenmonster there.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Go to Evinrude website and look up 1976 55hp and you will find this engine. Then look in the cylinder crankcase heading and you will find the parts diagram. Maybe you will be able to determine what has been changed. Does this look like it has the original lower unit on it or has it been changed and is a different color?

Sbcwrangler

Seaman Apprentice
I searched by the model # on the transim mount and found a diagram that looks identical to yours. Unfortunately not all the parts are available to retrofit it back to original. Really starting to regret this purchase. Other dead giveaway that i shiuld have picked up on is that the case has the external low idle speed adjustment. Its onviously mot hooked up to anything anymore. I'm not one to give up but have mo idea where I'll go from here. Maybe try to find a donor engine somewhere. Thanks for the help in getting this far.

Sbcwrangler

Seaman Apprentice
Racerone, I did as you suggested. When the lever on the engine goes forward the shift rod moves up and that puts it in forward. Does that change my situation any? Im still inclined to believe i should have the same setup as bonz

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
The 1st thing you need to do is determine just what has been changed. Don't bother asking why cause only the person that did it knows why.

Sbcwrangler

Seaman Apprentice
So I decided to try to make thia monstrosity of a linkage setup work. I've managed to get forward with full throttle, neutral, and reverse with a little throttle. I can live with that for now. Duribg the process i noticed that the timing linkage doesn't move at all through the throttle range. This is a strictly mechanical advance as the throttle is advanced right? Seems to be nothing to advance and retard timing. Linkage is all there but nothing to move it. I can move it by hand. Is it spring tension that keeps it retarded and then lets it advance as revs come up?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On your outboard motor the ignition will go to full advance before full throttle is given.--------------Here is what I think happened from 1000 miles away.------The powerhead was replaced with an earlier ( say a 1974 model ) and shift linkages were different on those.-------The party cobbled up the shift linkages and really messed everything up !!

Sbcwrangler

Seaman Apprentice
Def have to agree with you. Sucks that I finally got it running nice and smooth and still cant take it out for a cruise. Search for parts will have to continue once i finally figure out what motor this actually is. Thanks for the help

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Well I went to BRP website and from the looks of it that is a 1971-1974 50hp powerhead. Look in the intake manifold section and you will see the same cable mount. In 1975 that was changed along with the Lower unit.

Look for the welch plug in the block, the older engines had the model # stamped in it.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
looks to me like those parts might be available, and the assembly appears to be correct for powerhead year and hp, as shown in the pic. That could mean that the repair was not an alteration (although still might want to replace the part, if available). That doesn't mean that your l.u. and powerhead are a proper match, but can take a look at the assembly for the '76 55 hp, anyway.