1976 35 HP Evinrude: Proper way to assemble coil

drsaxman

Cadet
I purchased a new coil for my outboard (http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...d_poid=109169&gd_row=135&session_id=470132903) I'm confident that I hooked up the end that goes on the spark plug correctly, but I don't think I got it onto the coil right. There is a post that is sticking up inside the coil where the wire attaches, and I tried forcing the wire down while screwing it onto the post, but I don't think I have a very good connection. When I took it out on the lake, I was down to one cylinder. Messing with the wire out on the lake restored power temporarily, but ultimately it returned to firing on a single cylinder.
I much preferred having the whole assembly pre-assembled.

Thanks for your help!!

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
You need to carefully make sure the lead is screwed onto the little spike in the recess,it helps to cut off 1/4" or so of the wire so you are working with fresh copper in order to get a good connection,That's about all I can ell you as that model is a bit new for me.

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yup. Push in and twist till it quits turning. A little lube on the outside helps a bit. Geo has it right too. Cut to freshen up the end.