Evinrude 1992 115 hp wont start

dazieff

Seaman Apprentice
My 1992 evinrude 115 hp will not start. The motor has compression of 127 and 128 and 126 and 128. I have done carb kit. replaced plugs. Plugs are wet after I try and start . Motor will fire if I hit primer when turning over. If it starts it takes A long time with lots of priming . There is spark at plugs. with spark light tester. Any ideas as what I should try

interalian

Commander
When it does start, does it run OK? My '82 90hp needs lots of primer and plenty of idle boost to get running, but has always been like that.

dazieff

Seaman Apprentice
If it starts I have to keep pumping primer key push for A long time till it will run on its own

interalian

Commander
I guess that eliminates the ignition. Again, how does it run once it starts? Idle OK? Bog during acceleration? etc

dazieff

Seaman Apprentice
Runs fine some times other times wont open up all the way. Today would not start At All. Think battery was running down

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The engine has to crank at least 250 rpm's in order to fire the ignition system. It's normal to choke the engine when starting, and periodically after it starts for the first minute-until the engine warms up. On that engine it's only choked when you push in on the key switch. So you need to push and hold it in when first cranking a cold engine. Wet plugs indicate that it's getting fuel. Sure you have spark? Best to test the spark with a spark-gap tester. The spark needs to jump a 7/16" gap.

dazieff

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks will try that with fresh charged battery and will pick up spark gap tester

dazieff

Seaman Apprentice
Will run sometimes if I can keep it idleing long enough. The NO. 2 Cyl. has no spark on spark gap tester. Would 1 coil cause this to be that hard starting and erratic running if it starts