1957 18hp "slobbers"

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My vintage 18 will leak droplets of what looks like "whipped" oil onto the starboard motor mount and into the water.It looks like a LOT to me. I'm afraid it's the lower crank seal. How big a job is it to work on and should i look at anything else? The crank lube tube appears to be dry. Bummer.

Last edited:

geedo2

Seaman Apprentice
Crank seals are very reliable on these and symptoms of failed crank seal is more commonly idling problems creating an overlean condition. I think your leak is somewhere else. This crankcase pressure is directed to the fuel tank to push fuel back up to the carb. You have a leak in this section which can be discovered by using a good cleaning, then try soapy water in the suspect area. What are you using for mixing ratio?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

I'm not sure what you describe as leaking onto the starboard motor mount. A picture might help there. In the meantime, allow me to tell you some facts of life. Every drop of oil that you put in the gas goes through the motor and comes out somewhere as it runs. Some is burned and comes out as smoke. Some goes right on through and goes out with the exhaust and cooling water discharge. The second scenario often (but not always) results in a foamy, emulsified goop. I assume that is what you are referring to.

There is a third discharge route and it is right next to the lower crank seal. I am attaching a couple of pictures showing that discharge route. As the motor runs, especially at slow speeds, oil tends to settle in the crankcase (think puddle). That puddle will make it run terrible for a few seconds when you accelerate. As a fix, they provided drain valves to get rid of the puddle. The pictures show where it goes--out right next to the lower crank end. From there it goes out the exhaust, along with and adding to the previously mentioned. glop. The second picture shows a modification made in 1968 where they re-routed the drain to go directly into the hot exhaust to hopefully be dealt with without making such a mess.

Do I think you have a bad seal?? I have no earthly idea. Maybe you do and maybe you don't. Either way, you must understand that oil discharge is normal. 50 years ago, everybody understood and accepted that. Now, in 2015 everybody looks at it and says OMG! If you can't live with it, antique motors probably are not for you. But they are a great hobby for those that understand and accept that the world won't end because of them. Hasn't yet, anyhow.

Waiting on the motor mount picture...

Attachments

• photo225499.jpg
    photo225499.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo225500.jpg
    photo225500.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
BTW, you don't have to scrap your old motor if you are concerned about the discharge. You can use 100% Synthetic TC-W3 oil, Bio-Degradable.

geedo2

Seaman Apprentice
Another thought is that your exhaust while mixing with jacket cooling water will give you that mixture like foam. This could be caused from too much exhaust back pressure, maybe needs a partial tear down and exhaust chamber cleaning. Over the years this motor has used a host of imperfect oils and excessive oil mixing ratios.

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Started with 24:1 Supertech TCW III. reduced to 32:1 and had about the same discharge. Guess I will try the Seafoam treatment and see how it goes.It runs too well to be too deep i guess. Maybe a gasket failed. I have had a couple of these FD11 and none have slobbered this way. Avitar is the motor in question.

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I could have a drain valve plugged and the goop goes out the gear shift? I mean a "decarb"..... going out tomorrow to try it. Maybe it will clean the drain.

Last edited:

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Further inspection seems to support the gear shift/exhaust back pressure theory. The gear shift linkage is directly above the motor mount and seems to be well oiled

F_R

Supreme Mariner
OK, now I understand. The seal on the shifter shaft is shot and/or the hole is sloppy loose where it goes through. However, the stuff you see coming out is still the stuff I went to great lengths to describe earlier. If you want it to stop coming out there, pull the powerhead and remove the shifter shaft and replace the seal (It's an o-ring). Of course, if the hole is worn out, the new o-ring isn't going to do much good.

You can also see the lower crank seal that you are worried about while you are in there.

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

F_R, I studied the pics for quite a while. Thanks. Hate the thought of disassembly as no bolt has been turned to this point and other than the "slobbers" it runs almost like new. We had it in Ontario for a week. 25 miles back to camp with one portage. Starting with one pull,running and trolling every day.Is there a breakdown of the offending seal?

Attachments

• photo225552.jpg
    photo225552.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Where I suspect slobbering

Attachments

• photo225555.jpg
    photo225555.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 0

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Decarbed yesterday and seemed to be a little better. We are at 670 elevation and much lower than 1170. Wonder how much difference that might make? Still weeps some from the two drain holes on the LU. I have decided to just run it for now and wait for there to be performance problems before rip snorting in there. Again, it runs too well to have too much wrong. I thought the newer oils were made to combust with the fuel charge a little better than 10-30 W oil. Perhaps all is good. Time will tell.
Thanks for the responses from all. GREAT site. GREAT people.

Attachments

• photo225719.jpg
    photo225719.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

geedo2

Seaman Apprentice
Hey pal, I may get blasted for this from the other techs, but I have the same motor that you are describing....mine is a 1958 and I have run Amsoil pre-mix 100;1 but at 50:1 in my "bad boy". She has about 3,000 hours on it in remote Ontario, including trolling at 3mph on a 16' boat for lake trout. I have used Amsoil in it as long as I've owned it........39 years. I have no problems over the years except coils, points / cond. fuel hoses, and 1 impeller. I get 2 seasons on a set of J-6C's and very good performance. People are amazed at how well it runs. Sometimes I use my back up motor, a 1966 Evin fisherman for trolling when the trout are liking speeds around 2 mph. I have been guiding in remote Ontario since 1969 and never been failed by these old relics.......I trust them with my life, bro.

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Love mine too.Lac Suel, Eagle Lake at Bear Narrows, Wine Lake Cliff Lake, Anishinabi Lake,Wabaskang Lake. Trolling trout and backtrolling walleyes. Afraid to lean the oil too much as Dear and I TAX the weight limits these days.Just returned from Wine. 23 mile journey with one portage. Ran FLAWLESS. Just more slobbering than I remembered.. Maybe I have Sometimers. Sometimes I don't remember stuff well.
You have a thermostat. I don't. Do i need to try 1 heat range hotter on the plugs? NGK B6S in it now. They are the light tan that I expect to see, but wonder if a hotter plug might help with combustion? Anyway, LOVE my old 2 liner 18.

Attachments

• photo225552.jpg
    photo225552.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 0

geedo2

Seaman Apprentice
We have a place on Big Canon since 1981. Uncle is on Wabaskang since 2000, he gives fishing seminars at the resort. He is 82 years young.
Plugs sound good. Sometimers??? Ha! I run the old girl 50:1 on Amatuzio's "snake oil" yes. You will never wear her out. Use the best non oxy available. The Canadians know better than to put that ethanol crap in their stuff. They want to get home and cook up the catch. Thermostat? Whats that? Maybe they weren't invented yet......yes that would be a good idea.

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Which resort. I know Sleepy Dog, Gaullies, Jim and Julies, Midway..... We go to Wine

geedo2

Seaman Apprentice
Not sure but he sold his cabin and now stays in a travel trailer at the resort. He is pretty famous on the lake as "Misterwalleye".

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Great to hear. I wish MANY more GOOD years to guide 4 him. And you as well.:)

geedo2

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks brother, just sold a 1960 5.5 Johnson today for $400 w/out tank even. Don't think it cost that much brand new. Runs better than my 9.9 Yamaha 4-stroke. I have 3 more just like it to restore/tune-up. Best little trollers ever made. Run all day on 2 1/2 gallons of gas. Use Amsoil 100:1 pre mix @ 64:1.......2oz. per gallon of 91 octane non-oxy fuel. This new crap they build will never last 60 Larson 12 ft 6-25-15 001.jpg years.....never! Here is a picture of it on my 12' Larson.

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Beautiful boat and motor. Agree with OLD motor and boat lasting forever. Love mine. Good to know the discharge of oil is normal. I just didn't remember it being so much.