Evinrude 1979 35HP replace impeller question

Lewis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm replacing the impeller on a 1979 Evinrude 35HP long shaft that I recently picked up. Model 35903A, serial number E002229. I've got some photos below. The impeller that I took out is the one in the cup with the round pin. The one that got to replace it is the one with the ridge and the wedge. The last photo is the shaft, showing the flat at the base where the impeller sits. Is the one with the ridge and the wedge correct, and the original owner had an incorrect one? If so, how do the ridge and the wedge and the flat spot on the shaft fit together?
Thanks!
Lewis

Attachments

• photo225363.jpg
    photo225363.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo225364.jpg
    photo225364.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 3
  • photo225366.jpg
    photo225366.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 0

Lewis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks! Does it matter which direction the wedge goes in?

Lewis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
deleting double response

Last edited:

Lewis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK., I got it. Pretty clear how it fits once you slide the impeller down to the flat part of the shaft.
Thanks again!

Lewis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, I got the new impeller in, but still no stream. I do have a lot of water coming out the thru the prop wen the muffs are on and the water running in. I stopped the engine, then I ran water directly into the block from the top (disconnected the pee tube and ran water thru it the opposite way). When I did that, the water runs out thru the prop, and not out the water intakes where the muffs are connected. Any ideas?

jasper60103

Commander
OK, I got the new impeller in, but still no stream. I do have a lot of water coming out the thru the prop wen the muffs are on and the water running in. I stopped the engine, then I ran water directly into the block from the top (disconnected the pee tube and ran water thru it the opposite way). When I did that, the water runs out thru the prop, and not out the water intakes where the muffs are connected. Any ideas?

Sometimes by dropping the gear case again, you correct the problem. Also, I like the water pump test...Goodluck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAJfBKNs7bo

Lewis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks! It pumps for a while if I prime it by running water in the pee hole while the motor is running, but after 10 seconds or so, it stops. Which makes me think that the pump is not able to draw water. I can't tell from the parts diagram or the manual exactly how water gets from the intakes to the pump. This motor has been sitting for a long time, and there was some mouse nest stuff in it, so it's possible that it is clogged up down there. How would I go about checking, and where would I look?

Lewis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks I tried the idea in the video that Jasper suggested, but the shaft is too big to chuck in a drill very well. I also tried it in a tub, and it worked one time, but the next time I tried, it didn't pee. After that is wen i tried priming from the top.

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Make sure there isn't any obstruction in the tell tale hose & fittings. Mine kept getting pieces of rubber from the extremely deteriorated impeller clogging up the elbow where the hoses attaches to the motor. I had to use a drill bit to get the junk out of the fitting it was so packed in there. Good luck. Jim.

Lewis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, Jim. That doesn't seem to be the issue here; I get water flowing well in both directions. I guess I'll drop the gearcase again and take the pump apart again to see where the pump intake is.

Lewis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I haven't painted the lower unit, and it looks like factory paint. The intakes are clear. I just need to see how the water is supposed to get to the base of the pump from the intakes. The parts diagram shows an intake screen that appears to drop in from the top of the gearcase towards the front. I'll take a look at that.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????------Water MUST be about 6" above the pump itself for any testing !!!--------These pumps are NOT self priming.--------Just covering the intake screen is not good enuff.

Lewis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Racerone, many thanks! I rigged up a deeper tub, and get a strong, steady telltale stream.
But that raises another question: I have a couple of other outboards (a '98 25HP Evinrude and a '94 60HP Merc) that I regularly run on muffs with no issues, so why the struggle with this one?

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did you try muffs again after the barrel? We have small wasps that go in the screen and make nests. I had the same tell tail problem and after the barrel the muffs worked fine.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Pressurized water holds a lot of air--------Some systems are better able to get rid of this air.

Lewis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
sirrobin,
I have not gone back to the muffs. The motor is for a project boat that needs a lot of work. I won't be using the motor until September, so it is essentially in storage for now.
Racerone,
That makes sense.
Thanks to all who helped!