1958 evinrude lark 35hp no power

Bahummbugg

Cadet
I just cleaned the carb. Rebuilt fuel pump and changed all fuel and vaccum lines. It revs up no prob in neutral but when i put it gear it won't go fast enough to pull the drain plug.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Heard this complaint many times !---Sounds like it is running on one cylinder.----This motor has 2 ignition systems and one may not be working.------Does spark jump a gap of 1/4" on both leads, yes or no ?

Bahummbugg

Cadet
I put new plugs in as well. Yesterday i took it out and when i put the choke on almost full she kicked in At high speed

F_R

Supreme Mariner
High speed needle adjustment could be set too rich. That would make it chug along and waste fuel. So will running on one cylinder, that's why he asked about the strength of the spark. I would be even more demanding and ask if you pulled the flywheel and checked the ignition system.

Bahummbugg

Cadet
Im a bit of a noob dont know much about spark gap im on the water now and also haven't checked ignition sustem

nwcove

Admiral
Im a bit of a noob dont know much about spark gap im on the water now and also haven't checked ignition sustem

as mentioned, you need to trouble shoot properly. i will ask the question again, will the ignition system make enough power to jump a 1/4 " open air gap on BOTH plug wires? if you can say yes, move on to fuel/air delivery.

Bahummbugg

Cadet
I checked the gap of spark. Top plug has blue spark going from wire over a half inch away so Bottom plug no spark at all so whats next. Take flywheel off is where im at now anyone have a spare coil in the toronto area that would like to sell

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I am about 3 hrs from Toronto.-------This failure is very common.--------Most marine shops will have that coil in stock.-----Yes it is that common a part used in motors up to about 1986 and even later !!!!

Bahummbugg

Cadet
Ok i got a puller and got the flywheel off what would you change first? The points stick out past the brass spring clip thingy about an 1/8 of an inch. All wires look good. Is the a way i can test the coil that is disconnected off the motor with a multimeter. I have one but dont know what setting to put it on

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?????----I think you are not aware that this " universal magneto " was used from about 1950 to 1986 on many motors !!!----Do some research on the net concerning this magneto.----Look for ---" leroys ramblings "------omc universal magneto ---and others to learn how to trouble shoot this simple device !!!!

Bahummbugg

Cadet
I got new points and condensers and 1 new coil(they only had one in stock. Put it all back together and still no spark on bottom wire So then i followed the black wires that comes up from bottom into the ignition area and followed it back to a thing on the side of the motor i took it off and spliced it into the other black wire and voila spark on both cylinders. I'm thinking the wire belongs to the side of the motor but was put on the wrong terminal.? I left the wire spliced in anyhow and reassembled everything i can move that wire back to side of motor easily if need be. So then i decide to change lower unit gear oil. So i youtube to find out which screw is the drain. And it must of been a jackass out to get someone cuz the screw i removed was the shift pivot screw Me not knowing that tried to put screw back in cut the smooth part of the screw off to get the oil to stop draining cuz the screw wouldn't go back in. Then it all comes to me when i try to put it in neutral to start it up in a barrel. The shifter is stiff and not going in reverse. So anyway i tried to start the motor and it would not start im wondering if the shift pivot screw is the cause of it not firing up What kinda job is it going to be to fix this myself. And what other parts should i have on hand for when i do it. (Gaskets,impeller ,new pivot screw and another jug of gear oil). If there anything in perticular i need please let me know especially if special tools are involved