How to remove frozen SS bolts Holding power trim unit on 1984 Evinrude 115 TLCRD.

jimpittman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trying to remove power trim unit to replace motor, pump and what ever on the above motor. Got the pin out of the tilt piston using heat a BFH hammer and lots penetrating oil, but SS bolts holding the rest of the unit are frozen. Tried box wrench at first and graduated up to impact wrench. Got the first one out, but broke off the next two and quit until I get advice from the pros. I need advise on 1. how to go about removing the remaining frozen bolts, and, 2. any tips on how to drill out broken SS bolts from the aluminum housing. Any advice hints comments on any part of this repair will be appreciated.
I hope this makes sense to you
jimpittman

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
If the head of the bolt has broken off & you are able to Tig weld a thick stainless steel washer to the existing stud the washer inside diameter should be 3/8 or near Tig weld inside diameter to the stud thoroughly [good strong weld ] then weld a stainless steel nut to the washer . after welding pean it using a small hammer then heat the the aluminum around it using propane gas once its heated proper apply wrench & slowly work it loose back &; forth , unfortunately you will spoil the paint work with the heat applied , with the remainder nuts apply enough heat to aluminum

Last edited:

jimpittman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Durban,
Thanks for the reply.
I forgot to tell you the bolts are broken off inside the aluminum housing. No chance of using the tig. Any more suggestions will be appreciated. At present I am planning to drill them out, but not sure how to exactly.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Durban,
Thanks for the reply.
I forgot to tell you the bolts are broken off inside the aluminum housing. No chance of using the tig. Any more suggestions will be appreciated. At present I am planning to drill them out, but not sure how to exactly.

If you have access to drill them out. Start with smaller size bits and work your way up until you get pretty close to the thread diameter. Then you could use a punch and tap the threads out from the part. It is dirty and time consuming, but it works too...

durban

if all the heads break off its ok , then just remove the port & starboard transom brackets the studs will remain in the tilt unit heat around the aluminum clamp a vice-grip onto the studs & work it loose .

durban

i have used this methode in the past & works very well you will find it some were herehttp://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/johnson-evinrude-outboards/623685-anyone-ever-had-to-drill-out-a-tilt-pin