rebuilding carbs for the first time

tkdunn

Seaman
I have a 96 112 spl motor. I will be rebuilding the carbs for the first time this week. I've read over the procedure in the top secret file. Where can I pick up a jet removal tool? My concern is the adjustment after the rebuild. Can someone point me in the right direction for properly setting the linkage?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
ive only ever used one of those very small flat head screw drivers available at most carpart/hardware shops.
Adjustment after rebuild is pretty easy. Carbs closed completely at idle and are wide open at full throttle.But so long as you dont fiddle with too many levers you shouldnt have to bother much about readjustment

moonman

Seaman
Where is the top secret file because I think that my carbs need cleaned as well.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
About the only thing that goes wrong with these carburetors is the get gummed up from fuel sitting in them.---------Many times carburetors are cleaned / rebuilt and the results are ----" motor still runs the same "-------------What other good trouble shooting has been done on these motors ????

tkdunn

Seaman
Have not really done much in the way of troubleshooting. It ran great last year. I forgot to drain the carbs before storing. I've tried using seafoam, spraying carb cleaner through the intake, running a couple tanks of fresh gas. It cuts off at idle when I put it into gear. If I throttle up it will usually keep running but sometimes bogs down and dies even at WOT.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There are a few things you can do to help you out with the settings. Before removing any adjustment screws, slowly and easily turn them in until they just pouch their stops or seats. And count the number of turns it take to turn them in. Then after cleaning the carb, set them at those same initial settings again and that will put you back to the initial carb settings. Also, some folks do the usual disassembly and spray the fuel bowl clean and think they rebuilt their carb. But there are so many other things that needs to be disassembled and cleaned. Most carbs have three circuits in them. That is a choking system, an idle system and of course the high speed circuit. And each one of them can and do get clogged up with bad gas deposits and dirt and things in the gas and air over time. So you have to get to those areas to clean them. And that means a total disassembly and carb sprays and compressed air to make certain the small pin holes and slots are opened again. Failure to do that, and you might as well not even try to clean the carb because it will not work properly after a meager attempt. JMHO!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The high speed jets on these are fixed.----They are seated into the carburetor bowl and screwed in till they are snug.

tkdunn

Seaman
Rebuilding them was a breeze. But I mistakenly had my 13 year old nephew turn the steering wheel so I could reach the screws. I did not think to tell him not to move the shifter/throttle. I started in neutral but he pushed it to wot while things were disconnected. When it was put back together the shifter would barely move below neutral. It starts at wot regardless of throttle position and will not shift into reverse. Someone please advise me where to start with this. We only have one evinrude service garage and they're backed up for weeks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????---have you got the shift and throttle cable mixed up ?---The shift cable is the first one that moves !

tkdunn

Seaman
The cables were never disconnected so they're not swapped in position. I adjusted the thumb thumb wheel to the point that the shifter would go all the way up and down but it doesn't actually change the gears.

tkdunn

Seaman
In fact the only linkage that was disconnected was I popped the link between the 2 carburetors off the top carb to make it easier to remove.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer
Does the control handle have a spring loaded release under the grip? If so, is it possible that he forced it forward and broke something in the control box?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It shouldn't make any difference if he moved the controls or not, they only connect in one way and the position doesn't matter when connecting, although it will be easiest at idle in neutral. Look at the throttle plates, they should be closed at idle, the timing linkage needs to be in the correct position also.

tkdunn

Seaman
This is my controls.

Attachments

• 39136.png
    39136.png
    68 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tkdunn

Seaman
I guess I'm just confused about where this went wrong. It shifted fine prior to doing the carbs. The linkage moves with the control lever. It just seems for some reason it isn't moving the linkage far enough to change into reverse. I can spin the prop by hand in forward but it won't move in reverse.

I assume the throttle plates are all the way open instead of closed. I feel like an idiot for asking because I'm sure it should be obvious but how do I correct that?

tkdunn

Seaman
Sorry for so many posts but I believe I may have figured out what happened. I was searching images of what the linkage should look like. I noticed the anchor plate for the throttle/shift cables is on the wrong side of the thumb wheels. I think when he moved the shifter it changed the position of the wheels due to the linkage having moved. Therefore when I put the anchor plate back it was wrong. This would limit the travel of the linkage. Does it sound like I'm on the right track here?