My 84 Evinrude won't spin the prop in drive or reverse?

Welder101

Cadet
84 model Evinrude 25HP, I just got this boat a week ago and I knew I should have checked the lower unit gear oil but I didn't. And I think I broke my drive shaft? Or.......??? I bought a donor motor to steal the lower unit off of but it was a 75 model I do believe and mines an 84. The driveshaft splines are different and won't line up. I also had metal shaving in the bottom of the unit where the pinion gears and final shifter is. (Not sure on the name of it) but if anyone has any info on what I need to do I would greatly appreciate it!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
You think you broke the shaft? Pull it apart and find out for sure. Shaft will pull right out after you remove the waterpump housing.

Welder101

Cadet
The shaft pulled right out. But the pinion gear in the middle is rubbing one side of the case and won't allow it to turn. Found the problem! I'm getting a new to me lower unit from a marine shop he's charging me 250 and he'll change out the water pump and put new oil in it. Do you think this will fix my problem? And do I need to put some sealant around the lower unit when I put it back on?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Do you think this will fix my problem?

You haven't really described a problem. Without details of the problem and results of troubleshooting, we are just guessing that it is a LU issue. If it is, swapping in a good used unit should do the trick. It won't solve a driveshaft problem.

And do I need to put some sealant around the lower unit when I put it back on?
I've never seen sealer used to R&R a LU.

Welder101

Cadet
Okay I'll tell at the story. I was out driving on the tube when my Engine started making a grinding noise and then shut off. I went to turn it over again, and all it would do is click that's it I took the cover off tapped on the starter and it turned on but would only go half throttle when I was holding it wide open. I limped it back to the marina then loaded it up we went back out to take my trot lines down and the motor kicked up at half throttle, like I'de hit something. But I was in deep water. It would go into drive and reverse but wouldn't spin the prop at all. That's what happened. I already pulled off the lower unit. And the pinion gear in the middle was lodged into the side of the case at the bottom causing it to not make a full turn. I also had metal shavings in my oil. And was also bone dry on oil so I know it probably has to be the lower unit.