'89 Evinrude VRO 70 - does not idle, need help

FishawnSD

Recruit
'89 Evinrude VRO 70 / E70TLCEM
About the boat... recently "acquired" a boat from my buddy who purchased the boat about a year & a half ago. From the day he bought the boat I was there, nearly every time the boat hit the water. From day one the boat didn't want to idle, it would run well as soon as it was put in gear but would not idle. He then had a guy from the local boat repair shop work on the motor "on the side" when he wasn't working at the shop. He would come by one weekend, say the problem was x... wait till the following weekend when the guy could work on the boat only to take it out the weekend after that(3 weeks later) and find out that the problem wasn't solved. I have no idea how knowledgeable/skilled the mechanic was but with that being said this is what was done.

Repairs/service as of a year ago: Carbs rebuilt & floats reset, new spark plugs & wires w/ new power pack, and a new primer/choke solenoid

I have done some research on the forums to get a general knowledge of what I'm dealing with but could use some help, pointers, possible fixes/probs, anything would be appreciated.

As of right now I have the carbs pulled & labeled not to mix up carb location. The air box gasket was torn & folded over since last "repair"! And now about to clean them out even though my buddy paid to have them done since it has been sitting for over a year. I also siphoned the old gas out, put fresh in, new batteries... now I just need to get her running!

Thanks in advance for any help

fireman57

Captain
It sounds like there is something in the low speed jets. Also look on the linkage side of the engine and make sure that the roller cam is between the 2 marks on the flange that rotates when you give it gas. If you look you will see what I mean.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What are the results of a compression test.----And was the modification to the cooling system done?----It moved the telltale hose from the side of the block to the top.