1970 Johnson 115HP Ignition system. How does it work?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That motor has Battery CD Ignition. (newer motors have Mag Cd ignition). The one you asked about has a sealed Pulse Pack, which contains the electronics. 12 V Power from the boat's battery is fed via the ignition switch to the pulse pack. The pulse pack increases that 12V to about 300V and stores it in a capacitor (the C in CD) until time to fire. A sensor under the flywheel detects when a 4-lobed rotor passes by. When it does that, it tells the pulse pack it is time to fire, and the pulse pack discharges (the D in CD) that 300V stored in the capacitor to an externally mounted ignition coil. The ignition coil is a type of transformer that increases the 300V to whatever it takes to fire the spark plug (thousands of volts). But wait, before it can fire the spark plug it needs to know which plug to send it to. That is done by a distributor, also under the flywheel. That is similar to an automotive distributor. One other thing under the flywheel is a reverse cut-off spring, made of silver wire. That disables the ignition if the motor tries to run backwards. Yes it is possible for it to run backwards.

EDIT: You ask if it is a decent engine. Well, that Battery CD system was state of the art in 1970. But the Mag CD introduced in 1973 is way far superior, and still used today. The Hydro-Electric Shift on the 1970 was a good unit but proper maintenance is a must. And the shift switch in the remote control costs a small fortune, IF you can even find one.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many shops will not work on those any more.---It also has Hydro-Electric shift.----If you can not do your own work it is best to find a different engine.

777funk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I forgot to post that detail. I work on everything! If I could avoid it I'd never call anyone to fix anything. I love fixing things and have gotten plenty of practice because of my stance on the matter. The only thing I take my cars to the shop for are tires and exhaust. I do my alignments using a tape measure and tires have lasted fine. I'm a little carried away with DIY-ing it. But it usually works out if I do my homework first. I even cut my own hair... maybe that's where DIY-ing turns into pushing it a little! Give me a $20 clippers with a set of guards and I'm dangerous... lol.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
A man after my own heart. I'll fix anything around the place. But I did have to take my Ford to the shop for a transmission rebuild last month. And yes I do go to the barber shop.

777funk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A man after my own heart. I'll fix anything around the place. But I did have to take my Ford to the shop for a transmission rebuild last month. And yes I do go to the barber shop.

I wasn't brave enough to learn auto trans rebuilding either. I WAS tempted to try it! I figured $1800 for my E4OD rebuild was fair vs the learning curve of doing it myself plus buying tools and parts. But I was still tempted to try it. Maybe if I ever have a spare someday. I did rebuild my Powerstroke 7.3L injectors. That wasn't too bad. Saved about $1000.

The way I see it, why pay someone you don't trust when by the time you wait in line and call around, you could be half way done with most jobs. Plus you never know what you're getting when you hire it out.

And the best part... most of the time, it's FUN! So why not dig in...

Thanks for the answers guys. I've never worked on one of these and didn't know much about this year and it's tech.

Last edited: