Voltage output from johnson stator

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 83 150 crossflow does anyone know the max output from the stator in voltage? I know that the amp output is low but it makes like 15+ volts at higher rpms. My tach does not read right and I have a replacement but I don't want to damage the new one if this is bad. I have a new rectifer coming cause the old one has a couple of bare wires and I dont want to get stuck if they corrode. Is this the regulator or is there a seperate regulator? Thaks to all!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Voltage output from johnson stator

Yes there is a seperate regulator. <br /><br />When you say the tach doesnt read right, we assume that it did at some point and no one has changed the tach setting. Correct?

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Voltage output from johnson stator

The tach setting is on the 12 pole setting but I had a post earlier about max rpm being 4200 wot at 42 mph with a 21 pitch prop. this equals 6% slip so I don't think the tach is right. I have a new teleflex tach that has a setting for outboard alternators setting 6 is for johnson according to the back of the tach. What is the max voltage output is 15+ to high it seems the more rpm the higher the voltage and it seems high to me