Questions re: Joe Reeves WOT Timing Procedure

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
The procedure says to rig a spark tester set to 7/16" gap, is this for all plug leads or just for #1 and the others grounded? The throttle set to full, in gear or with throttle cable disconnected at the engine? To disconnect / eliminate the Quick Start feature do I just unplug the white/black wire from the port temp switch or do I need to ground the wire going to the power pack. This engine has a CDI #113-4041 power pack installed by the previous owner which is the correct one listed in the CDI catalog. I'm working on a "new to me" '96 130 hp, 90 deg. V4 looper, model E130TXAD A.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
i warm the engine up so not sure about quick start, gear in neutral disconnected cable, just for #1 plug

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Cool man thats the same motor I just finished up with. Like Bos said warm it up, but yes if you want to disable it the black and white wire has to be grounded.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys, I'll try to start on it tomorrow evening, previous commitment tonite. Any other tips, please reply.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
A little progress and another question... The progress, checked compression, 140, 145, 140, 140, good there. Bright strong spark on all cyls. @ 7/16" on spark tester. Ready to move on to timing procedure. The question: if I ground the white / black wire going to the power pack, will the power pack interpret the short to ground as the temp switch overheated and go into SLOW mode? Is it better to just warm the engine and leave the wire connected? Am I overthinking this? Thanks in advance for your input.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got timing set using the Joe Reeves method. On my engine with a CDI power pack, the QuickStart seemed to engage whether the white / black wire was connected, disconnected, grounded or not. I did find that if I cranked the engine for 10 seconds or so, the QuickStart would drop off and the timing could be set correctly. The QuickStart advanced the timing about 10 degrees when the engine is first turned over. Just an FYI.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Just to answer your first question of the day, the white and black wire wont put the motor into SLOW mode, but if you ground the tan wire from the powerpack it would then go into slow.

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks sutor. I still have a problem with the engine, it won't run right at mid-range rpms. Will dig up and update a thread I started last fall.