Motor only runs with fuel tank up high

wegngis

Cadet
Like the title says, the only way I can get my 1966 Evinrude Angler 5hp to run is by placing the tank up high. By 'high' I mean above the level of the motor itself. Even then, it takes 30 pulls to get it started. Once started, the thing runs like a champ. Ran for 2 straight hours no problem. In my mind, the most likely culprits are bad fuel pump, bad line or bad connectors. What's the most likely reason this is doing this? I just rebuilt the carburetor.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The position of the fuel tank does not matter for starting !!---------After you have used the primer ball the carburetor should be full and motor should start.------------Do this.---------------Check to see if you have good strong spark on that motor.-------Good spark will easily jump a gap of 1/4" or more.-----------That motor will have 2 new coils in it or it needs 2 new coils !

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I will say it again------ the tank being elevated has nothing to do with the starting.------If you have to pull it 30 times there is something wrong !-----And yes with the tank elevated the fuel pump does not have to do anything and the motor will keep running.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Did you have to raise the tank before the carb job?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Investigate issues with the motor.-----------Weak spark ?-----Old ignition coils.----------Problem with fuel pump diaphragm / crankcase compression or tank and hose issues.-----Try and borrow a different tank / hose too.-------Check compression as well.-------Trouble shooting that costs no $$$ is required here.