2003 Johnson J90PLSTC

BenP

Cadet
Just wanted to see if I can get some help on here. Bought this boat a year and a half ago. and did regular maintenance. It has an oil reservoir that seems to work fine but yesterday I had an alarm go off under the center console. after running it a while with the kids. the water got a little shallow and we were in part of the lake that was dry last year and very stained now. Impeller is working like normal and smoke is coming out where it should for a 2 stroke. I immediately turn it off and trolled back to the dock. I waited a day to let it cool then I started it again and it started right up but I did not push it, I just trailered it I did notice that I did not see as much smoke coming out this morning after the initial smoke form starting it. I know there are different schools of thought and bypassing the oil reservoir and keeping it. I personally do not know enough to have an opinion . The alarm that went off under the console was continuous bell like noise with no intermittent pause. From what I have read there are at least 2 different alarms on this motor. low oil alarm, no oil alarm and I guess there must be an overheating alarm. Just wanted to hear thoughts on alarms and basically where to go to trouble shoot this. Does not seem like there is any permanent damage but just want to know what to do. or what to say to the mechanic when I go. Thx for any info

Last edited: