1965 90hp Evinrude question

waldreps

Cadet
I know this is going to be very vague and could be caused by a lot of things but I would like to hear some most likely guesses and suggestions. I have a 1965 Mariner Runabout with a 1965 90hp Evinrude. I've only had it on the water 3 times. The first time was only for a few minutes as I wanted to see if it would start and run ok. I did this just to make sure the engine was actually going to work. I then tuned it up, put in a new water pump, and replaced the gear oil. The 2nd time it ran good. We were out running around in it for about 20 or 30 minutes. This last time, we were out for about 45 minutes mostly just idling around the lake looking at the houses. It ran good but then just quit out on the middle of the lake. It was my luck too that I didn't have an oar with me so we had to wait for the wind to blow us toward shore. It ended up blowing us right to the boat ramp or at least pretty close to it. Anyway, the motor was just idling along and sounded fine and then the rpms just started dropping and it died. I tried to give it a little throttle before it died but I was too late. It acted like it ran out of gas but we still had plenty. It would not start back even after sitting for 30 or 45 minutes while we were floating on the lake toward the boat ramp. The next day I tried it and it fired right up. So, what would be the most likely cause of that? Was I idling too long and it got hot? Any ideas would be appreciated. Again, I know it could be a million things but in your expert opinion, what is most likely the cause?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Tune-it up.--Replace the condenser.-------Excellent motor and iit might be wise to look for a 66 / 67 / 68 model 100 hp lower unit much stronger and a bit faster too.

waldreps

Cadet
No ideas on what would cause the engine to stop running after a while and not start back until the next day? Anybody? Is it bad to do a lot of idling or really low speed cruising?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Worked on quite a few of them back in the day.--Have one hanging on a rack in the storage barn too.------Parts and pieces do not know if motor is running fast or slow.-----Does the coil get hot ?--Is it the origanal factory style coil ??----Condenser is not expensive.----test and inspect under the distributor cap.--Set the 2 point sets to 0.020"----Does it have the special resistor wire installed still ?

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
1- Ohm resistance wire on that one was built into the instrument cable that leads forward to the helm. If the cable has been shortened, or replaced with a home-made affair without the resistor, the coil will overheat. Especially at slow speed or motor stopped and the key is on.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No telling what level of service / expertise this motor has received in it's 50 year history !

waldreps

Cadet
You are correct about the service record of this boat and motor. I have no idea. I bought the boat, motor and trailer from an older gentleman for $300. It had a miss in it but new plug wires fixed it. Two of the wires had damaged connectors inside the boot. I put new plugs in it, changed the oil in the lower unit, and put in a new water pump. It runs pretty good and seems smooth to me. I think it has pretty good power for an engine that old. I think everything with this boat and motor is pretty much stock. I think they've been together for many years and possibly since new. The boat and motor are both 1965 models. I'm not sure if the coil got hot or not. I didn't even take the cover off when it died on me as I didn't figure I would be able to do much anyway. I'll replace the points and condenser even though that probably isn't what caused it to die. It probably needs those things anyway.