1981 E70ELCIH - How to change the water intake screen?

mobisware

Cadet
I have a 1981 E70ELCIH with a broken plastic water intake screen. I removed the lower unit and the water pump but still cannot reach the water intake screen. Do I have to break the seals and remove the drive shaft just to swap out the plastic screen?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Look at your new screen.----See the wee tabs that hold it in place ?----------So break to old screen and remove it.----I think the new screen can be inserted without major surgery.

mobisware

Cadet
No Title

The screen is a hard brittle plastic. The new one is too wide to slide into place. It looks like the bearing housing is in the way and does not want to budge so far. I'm wondering if there is an alternative or something I'm missing.

Attachments

• photo224668.png
    photo224668.png
    667.1 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????------It is very easy to remove the upper bearing housing.----No damage will occur.---Just 4 bolts and you pry it up and out of the way.

mobisware

Cadet
Ok. I already removed the 4 bolts holding down the housing. I have not been able to pry it up yet but I'll keep working on it. Maybe some liquid wrench will help.

mobisware

Cadet
I have been unable to pry up the upper bearing housing. I'm wondering if there is some aftermarket item I can mount to the exterior through the middle water intake hole.