replace water pump

angler00

Seaman
I have a 2000 150 hp Johnson j150vxsss and like to try replacing the water pump on my own. I have the manual would like to find a video on how to do this.
I found a couple of video's with mecruy but nothing with Johnson. Any help where to look? A friend of mine just had his done and cost 300.00 which isn't to bad but I would like to do this myself.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you have a OEM service manual, the pictures should guide you, and a video would not been needed. If not OEM service Manual, your results may vary.

Lay out your new water pump parts, walk thru the procedure in your mind, drop the gearcase, and identify all the water pump parts. Now disassemble the water pump and install the new waterpump parts. It will take a bit of doing the first time, but will get faster then next time you do it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I second Chris's comment. If you do plan on working on your own OB, do buy the factory, year, model, HP specific shop manual for your engine. There is no better info available for your engine. It will certainly have pictures and verbiage on how to do most anything on your engine... Don't buy an after market manual. They try to cover so many models that they gloss over particular issues with your engine. Also watch a few videos on You Tube to see how its done. It really doesn't matter much what type engine because they all basically work the same way... JMHO!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Well, that procedure is real close to what is done to replace the waterpump on my '98 Johnny 150HPV6. The shift rod is disconnected in a different fashion, however, than on my motor.

I would recommend you defer to the actual OEM service manual for your motor, rather than count on this video to be correct.

angler00

Seaman
thanks to all real big help now I know where I am going with this. the info was great and the video was a big help