1985 Evinrude 115 bogging

FarmerSid

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all! Been having issues with my 85 Rude 115. I've cleaned the 4 carbs. New plugs. Primer bulb goes soft and if I pump it up, engine seems to come back to life. I have a new water separator filter. There was a in line fuel filter under the cover. This has been the same way for the past 4 or 5 years. Slowly getting worse. Now have no filter under the cover, rebuild kit on the fuel side of VRO. Still using VRO system. verified alarms are working.

Will run fine for about 2-3 mins and them rpm goes down. once primer bulb is pumped up, rpm go up and no loss of power. This has been gradual over the last couple of years and am at a loss of what the problem is. Any idea's?

FarmerSid

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks racerone. I appreciate it. I get 145 psi on all cylinders. I stated the engine is a 115 but it is a 120 V4. I was tired and frustrated last night. The engine model is CE120TLCO.

The fuel tank is under the floor with about 5' of rubber hose running to the back up to the primer bulb then to the water separator/ filter. From there rubber hose straight to the VRO pump.

More on the fuel tank. The fuel outlet is on the top rear of the tank with a 90 degree fitting. Anti siphon valve built in I think. That fitting has a length of hard plastic hose on it that goes straight down to about 1/2" from the bottom of the tank.

Hopefully this info helps.

FarmerSid

Seaman Apprentice
Well, got her running perfect. I disconnected the on board tank and hooked up a red steel boat fuel tank. Took it out and it ran great. Must be something up with the on board fuel system. Tightened all connections and still problems. Not sure what it could be. Maybe fitting on top of tank, water separator head ?????