EMERGENCY stranded on lake!

Tompen

Seaman Apprentice
I broke the key to my ignition and am stranded in a fairly rural location with 6 people.
I have a 24 ft pontoon boat with a 1996 115hp evinrudd. I have tools and am fairly mechanical but I have limited knowledge of ignition wiring specifically. Can anyone offer advice how to start my boat without a key? Hotwire or???
Thx in advance,
Tom

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi there, Sorry to hear your stuck on the water this late at night.

This may not help much but here is a link to the wiring diagram to the remote control unit.>>>>> http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/evinrude/...rude.html#/268

And below is the solenoid on the engine,
http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/evinrude/...rude.html#/258

Is the ignition key mounted at the shift control? Can you get to the back side of the wiring?

Do you have jumper wiring in case you try to start it at the engine side vs the backside of the ignition key switch?

Hope you can get out there!!! Sending good luck vibes your way...Be safe.:usa::usa2:

How bad is the key broken? Can you inset the rest of key so the tumblers get pushed in, then use a flat screwdriver to turn the ignition.

Last edited:

emckelvy

Commander
If you look at the electrical diagram on page 4-11 of the "Boatinfo" link, you'll see the "stop" wire. This is the wire, that when grounded by the kill switch or ign switch, kills spark.

You should find this single-wire connection at the Power Pack (switchbox); unplug it and the ign should work.

You can either jump the solenoid to get the starter motor going, or in a dire emergency, rope-over the motor. You can make a starter rope out of a wrench handle and any stout rope you have on board. Just tie the rope firmly about the middle of the wrench, and make a good knot at the end to slip into the notch in the flywheel.

If the motor has been off for a long time, you may need to prime the engine. The primer is usually located towards the top of the air box, and you'll see a funny little valve that may have a red top. As I recall, turn this valve CCW to open the primer. Pump the fuel line primer bulb a couple of times and you should hear fuel spraying into the engine. Then close the primer valve and attempt to start the engine.

Note that page 3-35 in the online manual shows the manual-open position for the primer valve, and a good description of operation. Note the picture shows the primer manual valve sticking out away from the valve as "ON", and towards the primer when it's shut off.

Don't forget to give it some fast idle, and if it starts, don't turn it off! Let it warm up until it idles smoothly, then get the heck outta there!

Good luck and have a better tomorrow!...........ed

Tompen

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you! Problem solved. I was able to do what u said and pushed the broken key piece in and then turned it with a flat screwdriver. Much thanks! Happy fourth☺️☺️

Fun Times

Staff member
Thank you! Problem solved. I was able to do what u said and pushed the broken key piece in and then turned it with a flat screwdriver. Much thanks! Happy fourth☺️☺️
Well cool, I'm glad that trick worked out for you... Desperate times calls for desperate measures.:usa: