100193a 1971 evinrude 100 hp

trigerman333

Recruit
Ok this might be hard to follow because i suck at explaining things if I cant point and use my hands.. also apologize for my lack of pictures i will try to get some pictures tomorrow if i remember.. So first things first my motor will not crank over.. when the key is in the RUN position both of the small terminals on the solenoid have 12 volts.. I'm pretty sure that means the throttle safety switch has bit the dust.. i have tried using a screwdriver to manually depress it as far as possible and no luck.. mine had what looked like two terminals on the safety switch and only one wire hooked up to it? This motor is new to me so I'm not sure if thats correct or not.. also if i take the one wire that was hooked to the throttle safety switch and ground it out against the motor it will then crank over, when the ignition is in the RUN position.. pretty sure i have some serious electrical gremlins.. I think the wire for START might be on the RUN terminal? any insight on this would be appreciated!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That safety switch is easy to take apart for cleaning.------Did one the other day.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Your suggestion that the start wire is on the run terminal makes sense. But how did it get there? The white start wire should be on the S or start terminal.. And your safety switch is either out of adjustment, or throttle set too high, or switch is shot. And there should be no voltage on either small terminal except when the key is turned to Start position. When turned to start position, there should be 12V on one small terminal and zero on the other (it is being grounded by the safety switch). But if the safety switch is saying "don't start" (switch is open), then there will be 12V on both small terminals when key is turned to start.

Also, yes there is only one wire going to the safety switch. If you look closely, you will see that both of those terminal tabs are the same thing--second one for other applications.

trigerman333

Recruit
This boat is a new acquisition to me, the previous owner wired in a new ignition switch.. lol.. When I went to buy it the boat was on a nice roll on trailer that was easily worth more than the $150 he was asking for the tri hull, evinrude, and trailer, so i just bought it. I messed with it today and the start wire was on the run terminal of the ignition switch, i put it to the right spot and fixed that issue. From your description I'm assuming what i did simply bypassed the safety switch, because I ran another wire from the second terminal to ground, and that did fix the issue.. I will try to further test to see if the safety switch is actually shot or just not contacting the throttle enough later perhaps.. Connected a broken wire to one of the shift solenoids and now the boat will shift to neutral and turn over with the key.. no spark though.. wire coming from the pulse pack to the coil does not have power.. I think the pulse pack may be bad, not 100% sure on how to test that yet.. for anyone who is interested this is the closest wiring diagram i could find, and is what I have used so far, seems pretty accurate.. image_224638.png

Last edited: