need help with johnson fastrike......

hydrasport15

Cadet
Hey guys i have a 95 johnson 175 fastrike. Took it to the lake yesterday and had a malfunction... motor fired up as usual, idled fine, ran on plane fine... now the problem, fished for half hour or so and went to start and nothing, motor would just crank and nothing... primed the bulb until tight, and same thing.. tried choking it with key and same waited about ten minutes thinking it was flooded and started trying again.. finally after milking the hotfoot, i finally got her fired up and put it on the trailer.. i put it on muffs at home and same problem.. i have check all fuel lines and everything seems to be clear and free. I noticed when your trying to start it, it seems like the choke isnt working when pressed in but you can kill the motor when you do get it running and choke it.. it has me puzzled... the carbs were rebuild beginning of last year with new bowls on each of them.. any help would be appreciated.... thanks

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: hydrasport15. Great to have you aboard...

From just the info you provide in your comment, I have to say you need to test the choke system and even though you rebuilt the carbs LAST YEAR doesn't mean there isn't some trash caught up in them now... So it certainly points to a fuel delivery issue... However, you didn't specify if during your "can't start" time, if you were getting a good spark? So if you know for certain that you have good spark, then it is the choke and carb issue...

hydrasport15

Cadet
I have good spark on all cylinders pulled carbs and cleaned thoroughly.. put muffs on and same problem.. checked hoses from choke and its working properly, spitting gas out of both in equal amounts. You can still get it to start by milking the throttle.. only thing left to try is replacing the primer bulb and fuel line from tank to bulb..

hydrasport15

Cadet
Pulled the plugs and grounded them out on block turned motor over and plenty of spart on all plugs

boobie

Supreme Mariner
That doesn't tell you anything. The spark should jump a 7/16 " open air gap on a spark tester. It takes more to fire a plug under compression than it does in the open air.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
What do you mean by "milking the throttle"? It shouldn't have much of an affect on a carbed two stroke. Although different throttle positions could.

hydrasport15

Cadet
I mean by pumping the hot foot in short strokes and then it will start to try to start Then it will eventually start and run fine after it clears itself out let it sit for 10 minutes or so and wont fire unless you fool with the hot foot again.. you can bump the key choke and no difference, i know its working because i can pull the houses and see it spitting

boobie

Supreme Mariner
What spark plugs do you have in it and when were they replaced ??

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Working the throttle on a carbed two stroke doesn't work the same as it does on a carbed four stroke in a car. What it will do is allow for a leaner mix as you open the throtttle up, so you are probably flooding it by hitting the primer button, and may have fuel leaking into the intake when you turn it off. Opening the throttle when starting a carbed carbed two stroke leans out the mix, working the throttle doesn't help.

hydrasport15

Cadet
The only way to get it running is to give it throttle when the motor is cranking so somethings off somewhere

SparkieBoat

Captain
once it is running does it run fine? if so then you need to clean the idle passages in your carbs. maybe the enrichining system is not working.

hydrasport15

Cadet
Ive cleaned everything on the carbs.. what exactly is the enrichining system? Or is that the VRO pump?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Your motor doesn't have a choke, it has a valve that dumps fuel directly into the intake, that's what happens when you push the key in. It sounds like there is too much fuel in the motor when you try to start it, that's why it helps to open the throttle, it allows more air in and leans out the mix.

The floats could be set wrong or the needle might be leaking.

SparkieBoat

Captain
no the vro is the fuel pump and oil pump, it mixes your gas and oil and pumps it. the enricher is a little round thingy with a small red lever usually on the top right side of your carb cover. it will hav some small hoses running to it.

fireman57

Captain
You are calling the primer solenoid an enricher. Never heard that term. I agree with the flooding diagnosis. When you stop do you tilt your engine all the way up? If you do then your carbs are pretty much empty when you go to start it unless you repump your primer bulb. Also,is this a new engine to you? Did it used to run fine and now doing this? Everything points to cleaning the carbs again to me, paying attention to the low speed jet and recirculationg ports with new welch plugs and sealer.