1999 Johnson 115 Oil Leaking Back Into Fuel Line

Captain Jeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The engine was winterized and has not yet been run this season. I went to replace the primer bulb and fuel line from the bulb to engine and the gas that poured out of the line was a pretty deep blue green color from the 2 cycle oil. The engine has a VRO, I do not pre mix.

I did not think it was possible for oil to back flow into the fuel supply. I was also having some possible fuel starvation issues at the end of last season... The boat ran better when pumping the primer bulb.

Any ideas what these symptoms mean? Thank you

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
1. While diagnosing your issues may I suggest that you do it while running 50:1 pre-mix fuel.

2. It sounds like you have a bad fuel side of the VRO pump and/or a fuel line restriction. Do you have a manual?

Captain Jeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Clymer manual. I don't have a vacuum tester but I can pick one up. I also have my original VRO pump that may still be good. Maybe I should test both of them and see if at least one is good.

Captain Jeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I also noticed the fuel primer bulb does not become firm. It is brand new. The old one did not become firm either. Should they? Can it be two bad primer bulbs or is there something in the VRO or fuel bracket that could cause this? Thank you

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I think you should look at the carbs and also the VRO body while you are squeezing the bulb. You will probably find a leak somewhere. If it is at the carbs it is a needle/seat/float issue. i have seen the VRO leak while pumping the bulb also. Usually from the seam on the fuel side. Do you see a leak? And, if so, from where?