NEED TO KNOW PROPER SIZE PROP NUT FOR 1984 50 HP. EVINRUDE

ajp1977

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all and HAPPY 4TH! Quick question...I lost my prop nut and I don't know what size it is...and I cant remember if it had a spacer between the nut and the prop hub. Can I buy the nut at a hardware store like ace or big r or is it a special order item? Need it tomorrow..lol I know I can order them but time is against me here. THANKS

Willyclay

Captain
Needs a spacer, OMC p/n 0315810 or Sierra no. 18-4228. You can probably find a "castle nut" with the proper threads locally or order OMC p/n 0314503 or Sierra no. 18-3705-9. NAPA Auto Parts stores may have some Sierra stock but definitely can order for you. Don't forget the SS cotter pin. Good luck!

ajp1977

Seaman Apprentice
as far as the threads go on a castle nut are they either fine or coarse? why I ask is I believe it was a 5/8 castle nut I tried with both threads and both would start but neither would spin on...didn't want to torque wrong thread onto it

Willyclay

Captain
I do not know the answer to that question. You will need a thread-checker to verify what you have. I looked at my 1985 Johnson 25 but it is different from yours. Sorry!

EDIT: The nut may be non-standard and dealer only but likely a stocked item for Evinrude dealers if you have one near you.

Last edited:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
ok thanks so much for your information..ill try it
You'll be able to find a nut and cotter pin to fit no doubt but you will also need the spacer part no 0315810 unles you can improvise with some washers