1978 Johnson 115ETL78C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trbek1973

Recruit
Run good at idle. Will not run up to speed. When putting to full power it runs very rough. It sometime wants to go but only for a second then back to running rough and it uses lots of fuel. Anybody got an idea. Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You have a carburetor flooding or a hole in the fuel pump diaphragm.-------Does primer bulb go hard on start-up ?

Trbek1973

Recruit
Primer bulb goes hard at prestart. Priming while running doesn't change anything

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Does it run good with the lid off? Sometimes those lid latches ground out a plug wire. In this case I think racer is probably correct with his comment about a carb flooding. Racer consistently gives excellent advice. You could always start at the beginning with the basics, fuel sample, open air gap spark check with gap set at 7/16 and compression check.

cymage

Recruit
That is the same initial issue I had. After a time it got to where it wouldn't even start. Turned out I had 2 problems, my voltage regulator / rectifier had shorted (when that happened it completely quit running) and the Power Pack. Once I unhooked the rectifier it would run, but back to the rough run anything over about quarter throttle. Have someone else drive the boat and tap the power pack with the handle of a screwdriver. When I did it to mine, each tap would do one of a couple things. It would either kill the engine completely, lose one cylinder or surge forward and run good for a few minutes.

Porcupiner

Recruit
Run good at idle. Will not run up to speed. When putting to full power it runs very rough. It sometime wants to go but only for a second then back to running rough and it uses lots of fuel. Anybody got an idea. Thanks

Do you still have this motor?
[h=2]1978 Johnson 115ETL78C[/h]

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Do you still have this motor?
1978 Johnson 115ETL78C

May be he does, maybe he doesn't. What we don't have is his presence in the forum for more than 5 years.

Closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.