Little red lever on primer 1993 200 Johnson

fiveonadub

Cadet
This question probably shows my ignorance.
There is a little red lever on the side of the primer gimmick. What is this lever for?
I switched it back and forth...nothing exploded..
Thanks for taking the time to answer this

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That primer is not a gimmick at all, been used on many motors since 1980 !!!!!---That red lever opens the valve manually to squirt fuel into the engine when operating the bulb.------More useful on smaller engines should there be a dead battery.---Red lever should be inline with valve body when motor is running.

fiveonadub

Cadet
Thank you,
You say "opens the valve manually" so I assume that means it is typically closed?
Is this part of the choking system? or the "primer" as I have read..
The reason I ask is because I perceive a problem with the choking mechanism...when I press the key in to the choke position, and then turn the key to start..nothing.
If I just turn the key to start, it turns right over and fires.....eventually
I bought the boat only a week ago and am going through it. It is a 1993 200 OMC Johnson

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The electric primer sprays fuel into the engine when you push in the key while cranking it over.-----It replaces old time choke flappers and is a very good unit.---Sounds like there is an issue with your ignition key switch.

Drummerhowie

Cadet
I had a20' Mako with twin Evi 60's. The starboard key switch got replaced with one that didn't have the pushbutton for the primer, so every initial start, I had to take off the engine cover,flip the lil lever, and then fire it up. After she was warm it usually wasn't a problem.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Replace the key switch with the proper one with the push button.

The solenoid should click when you push the key in. If it doesn't, then it may be cooked.