1998 Evinrude 115hp water in #4 cylinder

crappie_condo

Seaman Apprentice
Model# E115TSLECM
Hello everyone, it's been a little while... I have a 1998 Rude 90 degree that I bought used a little over a year ago, it's been running fine until now. It started missing a little and lost some power so I pulled the plugs to have a look. #4 bottom port cylinder has a water/fuel/oil milky mixture on the plug. I pulled the head, checked the head to make sure it wasn't warped, cleaned everything and put a new head gasket on, but no change still water getting in the cylinder, only this cylinder all others are OK. The original head gasket looked OK, so I didn't think it was going to fix it but gave it a try. I have a Pic of what looks like a crack in the exhaust port side of the block. I'm going to post the Pic hoping to get a few opinions. I was looking at the pistons and this thing has .064" pistons in it! Is that right on the edge for this block? Any input appreciated.

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
ive never had that problem myself but either way you need to get on to it as your bearing journals will rust up from the water they ingested if you dont get them lubed up.
is it a salty?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I was looking at the pistons and this thing has .064" pistons in it! Is that right on the edge for this block? Any input appreciated.
That is max bore and if not jetted correctly it will run on the lean side causing high exhaust temp that can crack the bridge is sleeve. The water can enter cylinder from: exhaust gasket leaking,lower seal bad,leakage around sleeve...

crappie_condo

Seaman Apprentice
Thx for the input everyone. I pulled the Exhaust cover and manifold, it looks like the leak is at the manifold gasket area. The manifold is pitted right in the sealing area around the bottom water port which is adjacent to the exhaust filler block on the port side. The exhaust filler blocks are not exactly true/flush with the entire sealing surface area which is not good. I have a donor motor and the exhaust manifold was in much better shape, so I installed it with new gaskets, no dressing on the gaskets per the parts guy since they were shiny and have the built in sealer. I ran it on the hose and I was still getting a little water on the bottom port Cyl, but the leak didn't seem to be as big this time. I tried torqueing the cover bolts again, but no luck. I tore it back down again and I could see the leaky area on the gasket and now I also have a milky discharge inside the starboard side exhaust manifold where as the inside of the port side manifold looked dry! I cleaned everything up and gooped up the manifold gasket with permatex gasket dressing which is very similar to Gel-Seal II and or Hylomar Blue and will let it sit for 24hrs or so. I this doesn?t work I guess my only other option is to pull the powerhead, tear down the motor and have the exhaust manifold sealing area resurfaced? The boat is mainly used in freshwater with 3 to 5 salty trips per year. I?ll post some Pics of the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] attempt with the new gaskets and the original manifold and gasket in a little while.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You should be able to see the pistons and rings now.-From the picture it shows you might have at least one scored piston.---May not be an easy fix on this motor !