Johnson 25 1985 solenoid electric start problems

jlwags.1

Recruit
So, this motor's electric start was not working about 3 years ago, just press the starter switch and "click" and that was it. Started with one pull of the cord though. Replaced the solenoid, worked great. I dont use it much, maybe a dozen times since then. Last time I used it last year, pressed the starter, no click, no nothing. Found a great trouble shooting guide on here, and went through the procedure. Basically no volts (~ .3) across the small wires from the starter into the solenoid without the starter button pushed, 12 volts with the starter button pushed. 12 volts at the large positive into the solenoid and across the solenoid to the post to the starter regardless of starter pushed or not. Starter turns a little when I tap the solenoid, starter button pushed or not.

So does that mean it's the solenoid? If so, should I be trying to figure out why this motor is eating solenoids? Otherwise it starts very easy, idles and runs fine, if a little rough, however I am sure the carbs need to be cleaned up.

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks folks!

John

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard jlways.1 to iboats.

One quick way to verify a starter solenoid is to jumper from the battery positive terminal directly to the starter. If the starter spins, then you could have a starter solenoid issue. But you also have to see when you turn the key to the start position that you have 12 volts applied to the small terminal on the starter. If so, you need to verify that the connection from the battery to the starter solenoid is good and the ground to the engine also. If all those things are good, then you have a bad starter solenoid... JMHO!

jlwags.1

Recruit
Yup, just tried the jumper from the battery to the starter and it took right off. Then cleaned all the connections and the ground, still dead. A new solenoid is in my future. Thanks for the help!

John