Newer Johnson ID help

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I just picked up a newer Johnson 2 cylinder with no ID on it and it's been painted over in camo. Sorry guys but I hate it when people do that. The PO stated he thought it was a 1989 35hp but nothing there is adding up correctly. I believe it's newer. It also doesn't have the stamped ID tag or the rivet studs where it should have been. Looks like it had the newer printed label on it which is also gone..

I started a search thru PRB site, going through the years and models. The closest match I can find on the carb is a 1995 35hp. The Engine cowl is also one that has the same shape as the Evinrude, not the more squared off one. The exhaust section also matches the mid to late 90's as does the lower unit with the anode in it above the prop.

Was going to post some pictures with this but the camera battery died! As soon as it's charged I'll post some. So if anyone has any clues or leads I'd really appreciate it.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
The model number. Will tell you exactly what engine it is. Take that number in to a boat dealer and tell them you want a water pump kit. (you'll end up wanting a water pump kit...)

That ID plate with the model and serial numbers that you have to take the numbers off of when buying parts will tell the dealer everything.

Without that ID plate... its classes as a stolen motor.... forever.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Already knew all that but thanks anyways. In my state they do not title or register outboards so that is a non-issue. Again IF there were a tag with a model number I wouldn't be having this problem. I would know exactly what it is.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Posting a few picture will help in identification.---That is your best choice to get ID on this thing !!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thanks, racerone I have a feeling you might have a clue. As best I can tell so far it's newer than 1990 by the anodes on the lower unit.

I think these pictures hold the biggest clues. The carb with the plastic cover, the anode, the extended pc on the mid-section for the exhaust. Once again have searched thru BPR and can't place this. I do also have a few casting numbers if anyone would think it will help.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is there a number on the round disc near the fuel pump ?-------Based on info from pictures it is a mid 1990's model or even newer.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Yes there is a number in that welch plug. It is G3517526. Was told by the owner of the shop that I've been using for years that on the newer engines that number would be a serial number and that BRP doesn't give out that info any more. But he did suggest that if I bring the carb to him that he may be able to ID it. But again no promises.

As I understand it these lowers disconnect thru the water intake. Will have to check that though.

Looking again last night the 1995 carb that matches the closest on that engine the 35hp uses 2 carbs, so I guess that eliminates that one.

I guess at this point my goal is to ID the year 1st and then try to determine it's size. I've eliminated the 28hp as most seem to have the split gear case lower unit.
Next clue I have is that the primer is mounted to the side of the lower cover and not to the fuel bowl.

Tried yesterday to start it but as of right now there is no spark on either. Compression is at 130psi on both and the primer is injecting fuel.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I think I'm getting it narrowed down. Was able to scrap some of that camo paint off and found a nice big Red 30 along with some stripes which looks to be a 1992 - 1994 model. Now if I can just verify the carb or the primer.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
This morning I changed the ignition control and tried to start it. No go until I remembered that the Safety Kill switch was active. Put the clip on it and this puppy fired right up. Might have to go thru the carb again as it was missing a little at idle. But then it's been sitting for about 7 years too so.

Will be putting it on the Sea Nymph today and then going thru it with fresh plugs, oil and a water pump. Excited? Yes!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
So I sent off an email question to BPR thru their website last week and received an actual phone call from them yesterday! WOW a live phone conversation.
As it turns out this is a 1994 30hp and I do now have the model number. The seller was telling me he thought it was a 1988 35hp but I'll gladly give up 5hp for a 6year newer engine.
Now to figure out how to get rid of this nasty camo paint job w/o tearing the whole thing apart.