1959 10hp Johnson Overheating Mystery

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have had this motor a couple years now. When I got it, I installed all new consumeable parts, including impeller & thermostat just last year. I've only used it maybe 10 hours total since I got it. Couple weekends ago it overheated. I had plenty of water coming out the blubber hole at the time. I opened the stat cover and found the stat was closed, so I thought that was the problem. However, it opened at 130 during multiple pan tests later. I jetted water into both sides of the star housing & had it come out fine out the exhaust and the lower unit vents. I put the stat back in, ran around a lake this past weekend, & after 15 minutes it over heated, although, I was monitoring the outlet water temp and noted several successful warm/cool phases indicating normal stat operation. I opened the cover again, & this time the stat was full open. I noticed a couple small sesame seed size corrosion balls in the housing. If those are the problem, blocking the stat, and I have corrosion breaking loose occassionally somewhere, what can I do to minimize the potential reccurrence of this problem? Any other ideas on what's wrong?

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Also, I ran the motor for 3 seconds or so with the stat cover off and had plenty of water shooting out the housing, so I'm sure the pump is working right.

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've heard of that issue, but don't fully understand how it causes overheating. Is the water lost to the head and crankcase? I havent observed leaks on the outside of the head.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That would put combustion gasses into the waterjacket .----The pump can not overcome that higher pressure !---Up to you to check this out.

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's a possibility. This is a low-compression runner (65 psi in both). This may be the time to risk head bolt break-off during removal to see if the head gasket is leaking and causing the low compression and overheating.