1973 Evinrude Lark 50 HP Timing

cymage

Recruit
What is the WOT timing supposed to be for a 1973 Evinrude Lark 50HP? Will be setting with a timing light.

cymage

Recruit
Thank you SOOOO much. That really helps a lot. I had a problem with running (loss of power at WOT and then in the end no start) and thought it was timing related so my fool behind adjusted it without seeing where it was initially. Turns out the problems were the rectifier and power pack. So now I am trying to get everything else back to where it is supposed to be.

natemeins

Seaman
Glad I could help. I too am having a few gremlins in my Lark 50 ('71), I'm starting to fear a power pack. Runs like a top at high Ike and above, low idle it'll act like it was **** off then immediately come on strong. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

cymage

Recruit
Took a while to get back. Have had many trips since I originally made the post. Turns out I had to replace many parts. Power Pack was bad, Voltage Regulator was bad, both coils were bad... AND timing was way off. Finally got high speed run going great but at idle in gear it was very rough and would die randomly. This last trip I finally got the thing running like a top. I adjusted the low speed idle (by ear, didn't have timing light with me), the mixture was about an 1/8th of a turn rich, and adjusted the throttle linkage to get a good smooth idle and no clunk when shifting into gear. That took away the low speed miss and it will just purrrr along without even giving it any throttle at all. Acceleration is smooth across the board with no lag. Now if I could just get the lower unit to crack apart so I could put the new impeller on it (precautionary, the one that is in it is working fine) I would have it made. I even tried beating on it with a mallet, nothing seems to be able to get it to budge.