starts, runs, then fades and dies Johnson COlt 1.2 hp Model JCOESE

Sailor Nate

Recruit
A new to me 1989 dinghy Johnson Colt outboard starts on the first pull, and always runs for a 5-10 minutes then often slows down and stops and won't start again for an hour or so. The seller said he had had it serviced just before sale. When it runs, it starts well, idles well, and runs well. Ideas? Seems to me its something about warming up... Is there enough info in the Seloc manual (which covers a very large number of models), to help with this little guy? I'm not an outboard expert but am fairly handy and technical....

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Check spark.If no spark then troubleshoot ignition system.

If spark good check, clean,or replace plug

Suspect fuel supply to carb

Tank vent open and clear.( try taking the cap off)

Filter in tank partially blocked

Check good fuel flow to carb

Check float or needle valve not sticking ........ check the little clip between the float arm and the needle is in place

Look at manual at http://boatinfo.no/lib/evinrude/manuals/1971-1989johnsonevinrude.html

gayle23

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Check to make sure the impeller is working properly. A "mist" should spit out of the 3 (I think) holes on the back of the leg. If the cooling system is not working properly the motor will overheat and shut down. When it cools a little, it would restart (for awhile).

Sailor Nate

Recruit
Was the tank vent, thanks much.
Now us new owners ran here out of gas. refilled the 1 quart tank, but she won't start. Always started on first or second pull before.
I'm guessing water or crud from bottom of tank blocking fuel filter? Anyone know where that is on a 1.2 hp Johnson colt?