68 evinrude 55hp electric shift no forward or reverse

cavscout413

Cadet
I have a 68 evinrude 55hp electric shift model 55973a When I start the boat and put it in forward it does not move every once in a while if I throttle half way up it will jump into gear and move a few feet and die have no reverse when it's run in when. It's in nutrual the green wire has power and when in reverse both have power and when in forward none have power but can't figure out why the prop won't go

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Your electric test results are correct. Can we assume they are consistent?
#1, Change the gear oil if you haven't already. Microscopic grit in the oil is a common cause of such problems. Or water in the oil. Unfortunately, the cure for the grit problem is a complete tear-down of the lower unit to free up the shifter piston in the oil pump bore.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Agree with the above.------------If original lower unit you might want to remove the solenoids .----Inspect piston on the bottom of it.

cavscout413

Cadet
Yes there was water in the unit so I am going to take lower off how do I free the selinoid and can I test it once the lower unit is off to make sure it's even good band would that causes not to have reverse ever which I'm not really concerned about I just want forward the whole top of the motor was rebuilt so I don't want to scrap it

cavscout413

Cadet
Also since o put new oil in the only water to the unit has been from it being hook up to the hose and it was milky agian is that just water that was still in the case or do yall have and idea were the leak is

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Upper driveshaft seals.----------4 screws and you can pull the solenoids out.---------There is a shift piston that pushes on the clutch dog.---Also a wee piston on the bottom of the solenoid assembly.---Before installing the assemly back on the motor you can test it.---Simply put 12 volts negative to the case and 12 volts to green.------The unit should go to nuetral after about one turn of the driveshaft.----Hook 12 volts to both wires and you should get reverse after about 2 turns of the driveshaft.

cavscout413

Cadet
So once I get the lower unit off stick it in a vice ground run a ground to the case that add power to my wires and than turn the drive shaft once and it should go into nutrual and I should be a able to spin prop freely and spin it twice for reverse than it should be on spins backwards but catch and if all that checks out it doesn't explain why when the boats running and I'm in forward the prop does go in gear I can spin it like it's in nutrual

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You have to keep spinning the driveshaft to provide oil pressure for the shift function.----When driveshaft is not turning the unit will default to forward gear !

cavscout413

Cadet
Ok and now can any one tell me why that when I was in the water it was in forward gear it would not move till I throttled up half way and than about min at that throttle it finally went forward about 2 feet and killed the motor

cavscout413

Cadet
And if I take the lower unit off and spin the drive shaft and the prop works than I know it electric problem and not a mechanical correct

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the lower unit needs to come apart for inspection.---------You will need some hefty internal circlip pliers and the adapter for that set to remove the oil pump.------I have done this many times ,can now do it without a glance at a manual.---Take your time as getting a shop to do this will quickly add up.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Answer these questions.--Is the lower unit in gear when the motor is not running ---Yes or no ??---Have you removed the shift solenoids to inspect the pieces ( if original ) at the bottom of it --Yes or no ??

cavscout413

Cadet
Yeh it is in gear when the motor is off and I just removed the lower unit on my lunch break took about 20 min havnt really looked at anything yet but the top splines on drive shaft are good and I don't see how it can be the selinoid because it is in gear when it's off when you start it though it stays in nutrual no matter what gear you are in but test all the wires even when it was on and when in fwd there is no power but like I said it act like it is in nutrual when in fwd but if you give it enough throttle sometimes it will kick into gear and spun the prop like it should even at different throttle potions but if you click it back to nutrual let it **** for a few seconds than go back to fwd there is nothing agian

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When the engine is not turning a very strong spring on the clutch dog puts it into FORWARD.--You can operate the control box all day long.---If the engine is not turning it will be / should be in forward gear !!

cavscout413

Cadet
As I said though the motor was running but I tore into the lower unot tonight pulled all the gears out Lil wear but ok took water pump cover off it check out so before I was never getting a clicking from the sieolnod so removed the cover pulled them out tested them out nothing so I said screw put them back in and than thought just for shits and grins I'll try it one more time so I got a click then when I took power away it sounds like they moved is that what I should hear

cavscout413

Cadet
Can I use this oil as I can't get type c local and I am trying to have the boat for this weekend Super Tech 75W-140 Synthetic Gear Oil, 1 Quart

cavscout413

Cadet
Ok so I found some type c add it started her up and now it won't come out of fwd and now I am also leaking oil from the prop what should I do