1999 Johnson 130hp repairing fuel pump housing?

thyNemesis

Seaman
Hello,

I've had a problem with my fuel pump and I think I found the problem. I wanted to ask for any advice on how to go about repairing it myself.

I had taken apart the fuel pump and noticed when I opened it up I had two extra parts that were not in the parts break down chart. It was a rubber seal and metal retaining disk that prevented air from the air pump going into the fuel side. It went on the fuel side shaft.

I determind that the 4 little nubs that hold the metal retaining disk down onto the rubber shaft seal are almost gone. I was wondering if anybody had any hints or advice on how to go about repairing this. I think the plastic housing is made from ABS plastic, I could be wrong.

I was thinking of using a very small tipped soldering iron (that is made for surface mount electronic components) and attempting to melt some lips that will hold the metal retaining disk down onto the rubber seal. I know not to melt through the plastic housing! Would it be possible to find some similiar plastic and use it as solder to create some new tabs onto the old worn tabs?

fuelPumpHousing1.jpg

The tabs seems to hold the metal retaining disk edges once pressed down into the hole, preventing the metal retaining disk and gasket from coming out.

fuelPumpHousing2.jpg

I've attached a few photos on the parts in question, the rubber seal and metal retaining disk.

Thanks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What was your pump doing / not doing.-----I am not sure you understand how the pump works.

thyNemesis

Seaman
engine would shutoff, due to fuel starvation.
From what I understand of how the fuel pump works...

A pulse of air from crank case is inputted into air pump side of fuel pump, driving a spring loaded pump, which draws fuel into pump housing as well as pumps the oil into the chamber as well from the back chamber. there are three chambers to the fuel pump, Air pump, fuel pump and oil pump. All have a rebuild kit available except the oil pump side, non-repairable.

My problem was the seal between the air pump and the fuel pump chamber came out of it's recess, allowing air into the fuel pump chamber preventing proper levels of fuel into carbs, etc...

Can you understand the jist of what I am trying to explain, perhaps not the best choice of wording but I think I understand the working of the fuel pump, not all that difficult to understand.

In the first image above, you can see the protruding nubs, upon closer under a microscope, you can see the nubs are worn down, thats the reason why it came out of place, allowing the shaft seal to move up, allowing air to enter via the opening from around the shaft.

In the second image, you can see the rubber shaft seal and the metal retaining washer and where they are supposed to be in the housing. The rubber seal goes in the inner most hole, around the shaft, the other side (back-side)of this shaft is the air chamber. There is nothing holding this rubber seal in place around the shaft except that metal retaining washer, which is pushed down into the second wider opening around the shaft and those nubs are what holds the metal retaining washer/rubber seal in place.

The metal retaining washer has sharp angular edges (45deg or so), which dig into those nubs preventing it coming out. Sort of a one-way push on and is not suppose to come off. Mine was off, somehow.

What is your take on how it works? can you explain it?

Thanks.

Last edited: