Johnson 150cc Two stroke... Problems in the water.

Seadoo828

Cadet
So I just bought a new boat, and it came with a 150cc two stroke Johnson on the back of it... Guy says it ran good but it also sat for a year. I can't read the model number or anything for parts, but that's besides the point. I have it running and I can go through reverse and forward no problem outside the water running on muffs, as soon as it's in the lake it'll run good for alittle before WOT ( wide open throttle) or full throttle. But as soon as she starts to get going through the day I guess you could say it starts bucking / jumping, kind of like a cyclinder is missing or something. And also, cruising at full throttle, for around 20 seconds you're able to and then the motor completely dies down unless you catch it and pull the throttle to idle ( which may just be a carb cleaning) but really need some input right now... Has fresh NGK plugs , gas, and oil. I'm also putting a new fuel filter on it because I took my
Old one off and dumped gas from it into a glass jar, no water in it but a lot of dirt.... Thank you in advance

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Report the results of a compression test.-----That is step numero uno when trouble shooting on these motors.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
When you say "cc", do you mean "HP"? You might post a picture with the cowling on and off. There are some folks on this forum who may be able to ID it. After the compression test come back good, you will need to check for spark on each cylinder.

It could be something as simple as the overheating sensor causing the motor to go into SLOW mode. Without an ID on the motor year, it is hard to guess the issue.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
We really have no idea what engine you are talking about. Hard to make any comments on a 150, due to the various engines that OMC has made over the years. Crossflow, looper, Ficht and Etec. A picture would be helpful, including the cowling. Also, what year is the boat-that typically helps to identify the year of the engine.

Seadoo828

Cadet
We really have no idea what engine you are talking about. Hard to make any comments on a 150, due to the various engines that OMC has made over the years. Crossflow, looper, Ficht and Etec. A picture would be helpful, including the cowling. Also, what year is the boat-that typically helps to identify the year of the engine.

pictures are posted.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
This is a Johnson/Evinrude V4 crossflow engine. Probably at least an 86 or newer. That model would have been a 110 or 115 hp with the bubble back exhaust. It's 99.6 cubic inches. A very popular model back when these were produced. Last year for this model was around 1997. A torquey engine that is not very fuel efficient.
You may find some additional information on the casting plug on the top of the block. It's probably painted over, but check it out. May have a serial number on it. model identification 3.jpg

Seadoo828

Cadet
The bubble says " G4105953 " but whenever I put anything in nothing comes up /:

Last edited:

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
A) the configuration of the pic that is not a 150, maybe 140, B) clean the fuel system good, possibly carbs also, check engine temp.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You should not have problems finding most parts for this engine. Thousands were made and are still running today. I'd check out the factory exploded parts diagrams at their website: epc.brp.com. You can scan through the 110 and 115 parts lists from 1986 on, comparing the factory lists with the actual parts you have on your engine. Esp, check the power pack(s) in 1988 OMC went from two packs to only one. That may help you with the year identification. Many, many parts on these engines were common over many years.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Looks like a 1996 model. It is a factory "low cost" 115. The OMC guys marketed a low-cost 115 by removing the expensive combination rectifier/regulator and put on a low cost fuel pre-mix fuel pump. Saved some cost to the consumer. Called it a 112 (hp) model when it was a 115 under all that paint.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
j112TSXEDR Is the model number I got from the tag...

So what should I be looking
For running problem wise?

Here is the model number list You will be able to see what all the letters in the model number signify

http://shop.evinrude.com/media/docum...rReference.pdf

Here is the BRP parts catalogue

http://epc.brp.com/SiteMods/BRP_Publ...=%2fIndex.aspx

You mentioned NGK plugs!
The currently recommended plugs are Champion QL77JC4 or QL82C gapped at 0.030". ( originally it was probably fitted with QL82C)

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...gChart2008.pdf

Only Champion plugs are normally recommended

If those NGK plugs are resistor plugs ( have an R in the number) they could be half your trouble. If you must use NGK plugs use BZ7HS-10. The "Z" in the number means they are inductively suppressed , like the Champion "Q" series plugs.

Id do a compression test.

Put in the correct plugs unless they are the NGK "Z" plugs mentioned above

Check the sparks They should jump 7/16" and check its firing on all cylinders

In view of what you said about the amount of dirt in the fuel filter clean out the fueltank unless you have already done so before filling with new fuel. Also for that reason I would be looking at doing a full carb clean

See Tashasdaddy's "top secret file" http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...dated-8-1-2012 for links to help with compression testing, carb cleaning and much more.

Last edited: