1989 Johnson 15 HP won't stay running

Js0759874

Recruit
I have a 1989 Johnson 15 horse that won't stay running. It has a new fuel line with a new bulb and fuel ends. It is getting good fire and has new properly mixed fuel along with having the carb cleaned with a new needle and float put in. When you crank it, it will start and stay running about 3 seconds and then die. You can do this all day and its always about 3 seconds before it dies. Choke and the slow speed need valve can be in any position and combination and it still won't work. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Pump the primer bulb when it starts. If that keeps it running the fuel pump is bad.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Regardless the fact that you stated the carb was cleaned with a few new parts, I still think your carb is still the problem. Buy a carb kit and disassembly the carb totally and clean it again with every little hole and slot cleaned out. Use some fine copper wire to push through the holes to verify they are clean and opened with some carb cleaner spray. You can get that fine copper wire from most any piece of automotive (or marine) stranded wire. Just remove one strand. Then use compressed air to blow everything clean and free of any dirt and try it again... If your fuel pump is truly work properly, then there is nothing else...

Js0759874

Recruit
Went to a really nice mechanic down the road and he let me borrow a new carb for it to see if it helped. It didn't so I brought it to him to work on. I'll update what it was next week when I get it back he said it really gets busy around 4th of July weekend so he will get to it next week. thanks!