1988 9.9 Evinrude No start Issues out of the Blue

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
Hey Guys,
I've got a 1988 evinrude 9.9 that wont start. I had the pull cord snap on me last week and I put it all back together and used the motor. Handle snapped off because I didnt attach it right and I took it all apart once more. Now the motor will not start whereas previously it would start on second pull. It has some carb issues where it wont idle but It's always started. Any ideas? I replaced the spark plugs which were pretty dirty and about due anyway.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
start with basics... clean/fresh fuel. o?l mix ..clean carb ( you indicated it wont idle,...! so something is wrong ) ...good sparks ....broken handle should not be the issue

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
would it be possible that the pull start dosent have enough tension on it to turn the flywheel quick enough to start it?

AlTn

Commander
check your spark...it should jump a 7/16" open air gap....if no spark on either cylinder....follow the wires from your stop button..1 wire goes to ground the other should go to a connector that either pulls apart or unscrews..whichever...disconnect then check for spark....post back if you have a good spark either with or w/o disconnecting this wire...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Tension on the recoil has nothing to do with how fast the flywheel spins.---Are you absolutely sure that the choke goes closed and stays closed while pulling on the recoil ?

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
Yup, i'm sure, the only thing I can think of is that it's flooded. Ive been taught that you're supposed to open the throttle up all the way, and pull it a few times to clear the carb. The problem I face is that the throttle dosen't allow that when the motor is not in gear. Is there an accessible drain to remove the fuel from the carb?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????-----Flooding has nothing to do with too much fuel in the carburetor.---Just put throttle handle up to the neutral stop and give it a few pulls with choke off.

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
Yup, i'm sure, the only thing I can think of is that it's flooded. Ive been taught that you're supposed to open the throttle up all the way, and pull it a few times to clear the carb. The problem I face is that the throttle dosen't allow that when the motor is not in gear. Is there an accessible drain to remove the fuel from the carb?
I guess I never fully understood the phrase "flooding the carb"

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
I found a broken spark plug wire, can I get any from the auto parts store?

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
I also noticed when I changed the recoil, I had removed the airbox partially. I think that knocked loose the choke lever and I wasnt actually choking it when I thought I was. Would a faulty choke prevent the starting of the motor?

AlTn

Commander
the washer in the bottom of the cup < lower part of the housing > is it in place?...the tab on the bottom of the housing..is it in the hole in the casting that captures it and prevents it from moving?... as info ..that starter screw calls for 24 to 30 ft/lbs of torque

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
the washer in the bottom of the cup < lower part of the housing > is it in place?...the tab on the bottom of the housing..is it in the hole in the casting that captures it and prevents it from moving?... as info ..that starter screw calls for 24 to 30 ft/lbs of torque
They are both in place, I notice the spring "clip" isnt in line with the notch in the housing that prevents the whole spring from moving. Could that be it? The torque is definitely a possibility also.

AlTn

Commander
the outside loop of the spring should protrude from that notch in the cup

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
I figured out the problem, while the choke assembly was hooked up and looked good, the spring was worn out. Basically when I pulled the choke lever nothing happened, i fixed it and it started with a quick spray of marine 2 stroke starting fluid.