Johnson Colt Carburetor Problem

Hello, <br /><br />I just purchased a Johnson Colt. It doesn't seem to be getting fuel into the carburetor. I put in a new filter, and the fuel line is clear through to where it connects to the carburetor. I open the fuel vent, but the fuel doesn't want to flow from the tank through the line and filter and finally into the carburetor. I even unscrewed the low speed needle valve completely to see if that would let any fuel in, but still no flow.<br /><br />I then unscrewed the bottom of the carburetor from the rest and cleaned out where the low speed needle valve screws into the carburetor.<br /><br />Does anyone have an idea what is stopping the fuel from reaching the carburetor?<br /><br />By the way, I poured a little fuel directly into the cylinder, and it ran for the brief time that the fuel there lasted so there doesn't seem to be any problem with the electrical system.<br /><br />Thanks for your assistance,<br />Colby

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Johnson Colt Carburetor Problem

Have you checked that the float needle is not stuck?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hey Colby.....just a thought here....look at the primer bulb. Which way is the arrow pointing? Should be pointing toward the engine.<br /><br />If that's OK, might check into the carb as suggested by GrantS. Has the engine been setting long??<br /><br />And welcome aboard iboats!!

Originally posted by Grant S:<br /> Have you checked that the float needle is not stuck?
That could be the problem. I noticed that the brass screw under the silver plate that goes up and down as the float rises and falls was not moving. Is there a proper way to loosen that? I had been told that the motor had been sitting for at least 6 months. I removed the fuel from the tank because it smelled more like turpentine than gasoline.

Originally posted by OBJ:<br /> Hey Colby.....just a thought here....look at the primer bulb. Which way is the arrow pointing? Should be pointing toward the engine.<br /><br />If that's OK, might check into the carb as suggested by GrantS. Has the engine been setting long??<br /><br />And welcome aboard iboats!!
This type of Johnson has no primer bulb, the fuel apparently is gravity fed, but I did make sure that the fuel filter is pointing in the correct position when I installed that. My guess at this point is that GrantS' recommendation is the correct one as well. I'll give that a try this afternoon and report the results. Thanks.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

My bad....sorry 'bout that Colby.... :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> if that needle that is moved by the float is stuck in the up position you solved your promlem. that needle controls the amount of fuel entering the bowl as opposed to how much the engine is removing. take the float off and pull the needle out with tweezers. would be better to buy a carb kit and remove,dissasemble and througly clean all passages.