150 johnson ocean runner wont stay lit

gotofixit

Cadet
I have been having a problem getting this motor to run after I let go of the key. The starter cranks and it even sounds like it wants to fire up but after one chug it dies or after I let go of the key. Last week when I started the motor and got it warm it shutdown at 1500 rpm like someone turned off the key no sputtering or coughing. this is were I am at after looking throughout the previous posts in hopes of making it a smoother process to troubleshoot as other threads with similar problems have gave me a place to start. I do have sufficient battery power, I swapped out the ignition switch with a spare one and chased down the electrical to the quick disconnects by the power head. previous threads have experienced problems with bad power pack, optical eyes, and timing sensor. I have a multimeter and an general knowledge of the ignition system and do not want to throw parts at this motor and keep my fingers crossed. Any further ideas to help me get this puppy started would be most appreciated as I need to make some headway this weekend

gotofixit

Cadet
The motor is a 1996 and thanks for sending me that link for CDI. I did see that previously and it appears that you need a special adapter for a multi meter to read the values properly it seemed odd but I did try it and that is my next move to get that adapter to see what might be causing the issue. I just thought there might be another way around in order to keep working on this problem but again thanks for the input. It lets me know that at least I am on the right path

Bosunsmate

Admiral
You can use a standard multimeter to check the resistance readings which often show up the problem. You can also use it to check for any shorts to ground.
You can also try a spark tester to see whats happening when it cuts out and also disconnecting the black wire with a yellow stripe that goes to the powerpack to see if its a ground short in the kill circuit.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
On my '98 Johnny 150HPV6, the powerpack is fed battery voltage, when the motor is cranking. When the key is released, the stator supplies power to the powerpack. If you motor is wired this way, it sounds like you should investigate whether the stator is functioning properly.

gotofixit

Cadet
My plan today is to check both the stater and power pack soundness and hopefully it will point me to the defective component. Thank you as well for the direction to narrow this annoying problem down. I will report what the out come is as soon as I get it remedied in order to make this process easier hopefully for someone else down the line who might have the same trouble but not know where to start