changing throttle/shift cables

simplydave

Seaman
on a scale of 1-10 how hard a project is this? Any pointers to make it easier? this is an 85 90hp evinrude

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Cables are easy, as long as you have decent access if not wire them together and pull back thru.

I'm wondering about the electrical stuff which is way not in my wheelhouse just about to post a thread on that instead I'll tag along here.. The other question to add (maybe you know) is the TnT wire comes out of the handle, not with the other main group of wires. Does it connect to the harness or is it a separate wire? It looks like it is permanently connected at the pump so does that wire go to the battery then another come back thru the harness to the throttle control?

simplydave

Seaman
finally changed the cables. Minimal hassle, in fact it was so easy even I could do it. To answer your question Redneck Joe, on mine there is a disconnect under the dash that goes to the engine harness and two wires run to the tilt gauge.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah forgot i asked about this. Dug into it over the weekend and found the connection/box back by the batteries.