Damaged bearings while removing flywheel

NC-Rookie

Seaman Apprentice
While cutting off the broken off part of the flywheel on my 35 hp Evinrude I cut more than the flywheel. Is this the roller bearing and thrust bearing assemblies? If so I can't find a diagram in parts lookup that looks like this. Anyone's guidance on ordering the right parts will be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo223942.jpg
    photo223942.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
No thats not the bearing or seal. They are lower, pressed into the top of the crankcase.

You do appear to have cut into what I believe is the cam ( for the points) however you may not have cut so deep into it as to render it useless.
( 0510169 I beleive if you do have to replace it ... but check the number)

The thread on the crankshaft looks damaged unless it's an illusion. In fact it looks completely cream crackered

BTW I cant confirm the part number you quoted for the flywheel I think you may have a wrong number there but I am having difficulty matching your engine model number with any parts lists

Last edited:

NC-Rookie

Seaman Apprentice
Nothing I have found still have that protruding part at the top of the cam,and I think I got the wrong flywheel. Can anyone confirm the correct part number for a model 35514 35 hp evinrude lark

gm280

Supreme Mariner
NC-Rookie, what year engine is that, and what model number as well? If you know the year and model number then maybe you can get a break down of the engine to see what you could need to fix it... JMHO!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
35514 is a 1958. Sorry, my parts book for that year/model is missing. But you sawed into the tapered portion of the crankshaft. Too, bad, I think it's toast now. You need a flywheel and a crankshaft.

EDIT: Found the numbers in the where-used book. Flywheel is 580336 and crankshaft is 305362.

Last edited:

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
that looks like the flywheel hub to me just a guess good luck:joyous:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
that looks like the flywheel hub to me just a guess good luck:joyous:
Yes but looking again at the picture I am sure F R is right . That cut will have damaged the tapered part of the crankshaft.

NC-Rookie

Seaman Apprentice
Do you think that the crankshaft is damaged enough where a flywheel will not go back on, and is that the flywheel hub. If so is it part of the flywheel or a separate part? I guess the only way I'm going to learn is to make mistakes and ask questions.Thanks again for all of the help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
There was a service bulletin on that very subject back in "the day". The hub is cast into the flywheel, but they were coming loose. The hub design was changed as a result. It is still cast into the flywheel, but is much more robust. I'd have to dig up the info, but to the best of my recall, the redesigned flywheel had a "Q" stamped near the rope notch. People were rejecting the redesigned flywheel because hairline cracks were appearing between the puller holes. The bulletin explained that those cracks were only on the surface and not a problem nor a cause for replacement.

P.S. I would never tell anybody to run a damaged flywheel or crankshaft. That thing can kill or maim if it gets loose. I saw a guy that it happened to. Not a pretty sight.

Last edited:

NC-Rookie

Seaman Apprentice
This motor may end up being parted out, but for future reference, is this the cam or hub on this 1958 35514. It appears to be made on the crankshaft. If not what does it take to remove it? I may be in the market for a running used motor in N.C. or VA. Sorry, forgot to enclose the picture. It will follow shortly.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is just below the thread of the crankshaft.-Therefor it is the hub of the flywheel !----Crankshaft is no longer usable !

NC-Rookie

Seaman Apprentice
Now that I have given up on this crankshaft, I 'm looking at Ebay for a powerhead and someone has a 1958 18 hp Evinrude powerhead. Will this by any chance work on a 35 hp 35514 motor?

NC-Rookie

Seaman Apprentice
O.K. I wrote up from my dream. Will a powerhead off of a Johnson RDE-19 35 hp work on my Evinrude 35514?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
No, the '58 Lark is quite different from the '57 Johnrude 35s. I believe the crankshaft will swap, though.

NC-Rookie

Seaman Apprentice
While my 1958 35 hp Evinrude project is on hold can anyone guide me to acceptable model and weight motors that would be easy to adapt to my 1959 14 ft. Glassmaster as far as controls and availability are concerned?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Any 1958-1961 Evinrude or Johnson or Gale 35 or 40 hp motor will be a direct plug and play swap. You can also use a whole bunch of newer models than that with minor electrical changes. But look out for the electric shift models. They require considerably different controls and electrical.