1989 Evinrude 90 hp help me adjust linkage

aaron1230

Recruit
Bought the boat last summer 17' Stratos 266fs, fiberglass fish and ski, previous owner said he thought it needed synced well it ran but not like should of I figured out the vro pump was bad so replaced with a fuel pump, have to mix gas with oil now I don't mind, ok now I have the fuel problem fixed I assume the performance issues are due to previous owner had been compensating by making linkage adjustments now everything is off balance, it runs sluggish when throttling up from idle to wot, takes forever to plane out, sometimes have to try several full throttle then half back to full to get it to go then runs great. Last year 5800 rpm full throttle going down stream this year once planed out 6400 rmp going up stream big difference, I like, I check timing at 1000 rpm it's right on 28* the lable says that's correct but is it supposed to be that at idle, half throttle, wot or ####rpm? I've looked for info on my phone but not finding any fur my engine size. I'd like to know if I can get help adjusting the cable and linkages as well as get the timing right my kids want to tube and I'd like to ski. Can't do either the way it's currently running any help would be most appreciated

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Upstream or down stream makes no difference here !------------Do a compression test first.

aaron1230

Recruit
Compression test? I'm trying to get linkage in sync. Motor runs great the fuel pump was the original problem the original owner made adjustments to account for a faulty part instead of replacing it. but if you really think that will help figure out how to set up linkage. I'm sorry I work on cars abs I build motor cycles I am mechanically able to if given information

rcxdm40

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Linkage problems usually won't cause the problems your describing. It will cause you to not get to full throttle or over throttle the motor. What year is the boat. Possible water logged hull perhaps. Give us a little more info and perhaps we can help.

aaron1230

Recruit
What information would you find help full. I ain't saying I'm right just want boat running like it did before I replaced the BAD fuel pump

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
That crossflow should have it's WOT timing checked at 5000 rpm's. The ignition system timing changes as the rpm's increase. It "creeps" up as the rpm's build up. Maybe 4 degrees difference from idle to 5000 rpm's. That's significant.

aaron1230

Recruit
1989 evinrude 90 hp on a 17 foot fiberglass "bass" boat. Stratos 266fs, I was thinking because the ole man said he thought it needed adjusted he'd messed with things because I can clearly see the ramping profile in the throttle arm fur the timing advance because I can see the adjuster on the end of said timing advance because the ole man I bought it from is a race car drive no for real. I know he messed with settings especially as the old fuel pump got worse abd worse. I figured start with good settings and if still had plane out issue look into other things. I've actually got a week into asking for help to set up the timing throttle arm and I'm no further along than I started. I'm almost certain the timing abd throttle were messed with because I do know the ole guy I got the boat from. I wood like to start there if there is anyone willing to help me I will greatly appreciate that I really don't think the hull can be any more water logged than it was last year because I kept it covered with the drain plug out abd with a bad fuel pump it would plane out better abd the only thing I done was change out fuel pump abd lines, once it has planed out it runs good has higher rmp than last season which I thought was a good thing

aaron1230

Recruit
How would I know if I have a water lugged hull? What can I do to resolve if that is case? I'll do compression test when I get back I'm not trying to be rude, I just really consider the previous owner made adjustments to compensate the worser the vro pump got if you guys can help im very willing to get the kids tubing

Last edited: